Amps and Women

I have been happily married for over 20 years now. I am the supposed audiophile, yet my wife ,god bless her, can pick out the differences in amplifiers in about two seconds. I change over from my Spectral stuff to my Classe stuff,"Honey did you change the system again?" She was not even listening seriously, she was doing something totally different. So the question I pose, and my wife is not the only one I have noticed this with, do women in general possess better listening/hearing capabilties then men?? That is why I take her(and usually with great resentment on her part.) to audition audio equipment. In fact, in all fairness, she narrows the choices pretty quickly.
shubertmaniac
Sorry for the typo, I meant to say that woman don't intrinsically better than MEN,(not me) Thanks
Perfect. Here's where I come in. I think that my husband's passion with this hobby is both in the technical understanding and the journey of improving the reproduction of sound (that includes obtaining the gear, but also the personal relationships established in doing so). He can speak to this, this is just what I have observed. He was on the phone, just this morning, for an hour with someone discussing Innersound gear Me? I just love to listen. He troubleshoots, works out the details, then I come in and sit down with a glass of wine. Pretty good gig, actually! Sure, I enjoy understanding enough to intelligently understand WHY there are differences, but for me - it's in the discovery of hearing something in a piece of music that I never heard before. You can listen to your collection again and again and it's like hearing it for the first time. Who would have thought changing out power cords could bring such enjoyment! It's insane. I love the musical gear - Rowland amps, Apogee speakers, tubes in the front end. I tend to get a personal attachment to stuff, too. Something really has to come in the door and show me something more, before I am ready to let go. I, of course, trust his judgement and go along with whatever he is ready to try. The Apogee stages lasted the longest, but we have moved on to electrostatic panel hybrids. We are now in the middle of seeing what we think about a Classe 300 in place of the two Rowland Model 1's mono-blocked. And it is very musical. But, I bet we end of getting the gain adjusted on the Rowlands and tri-amp the whole bloody thing. It is so much fun!
MY wife calls my system A RADIO...Until she hears her favorite CD...Then it's a lovely sounding sweet tubes ontop solid state on the bottom great sounding system....GEE.
i'm not sure whether it's better or no to live with a wife who has better ears than mine. angela100 is a special and unusual sort of woman, who not only tolerates us "guys" but is seemingly as interested in this crazy hobby as is her spouse:; in my 3 decades of experience in the audio highend, i've met but a handful of like souls. my wife of 34 years tolerates my indulgences, which is probably more than that i should hope for-- or expect. i listen to my system or waste time with all of you while she spends nearly every waking hour devoted to volunteer work connected to purebred dog rescue or the psychic and physical care of her terminally-ill mother. the only time her listening acuity is tested is when i put on reggae music, that she likens to nails scraped on a blackboard. or when i turn it up the volume so high that the sound from my basement sound room awakens her two floors above. my bride still doesn't know, or care, which of those great big boxes she must pass to get to the laundry room is an amp. that's just one of thousands of reasons i love her. -kelly
This morning my wife and I took a drive to the ocean side and she insisted that I take my car. So I asked why and she said it has a better stereo system. I was surprised that was able to hear the difference. I had installed a pretty nice system in her car consisting of Mcintosh, Soundstream and KEF equipment. I have Nak, seperate DAC, Sounstream and B&W in my car. She complained that sound system makes her fatigue. She used to be satified with a boom box.