....expanding from car audio into home...need help

i certainly need help...tons of opinions desired...

alright...i've spent about 3 years forming great and wonderful opinions on car audio.

however, none of the brands that i use in my car make home stuff.....well, i take that back...nakamichi does. i'm sure that car audio stuff wouldn't work as well in the home as home audio would....

however....i don't want to jump into the higher end stuff for my apartment that i have in my car.

i'd like to get a *decent* reciever/tuner (i don't even know what the difference is) that i can hook up to my new bigscreen. (my roommates and i went in on a new toshiba 50" projection)

so...about what would i be looking to spend for a quality, low priced *thing* that will get me surround sound (and i assume that the new digital thingy is better than 5.1 surround?)

so...help me out guys. :) i know that it's all INCREDIBLY subjective....but, i'm pretty sure that i don't want to buy anything that they sell at best buy or circuit city, so i gotta get on the web to get help.

i appreciate it. :)
onlyshawn
well...let me reiterate....y'all need to think *not* highest end. :)

like....if anyone knows car audio, what i would be looking for is a reccomendation of crossfire amps, and idq subs, possibly audiocontrol stuff, because it can be had easily for a great price. great quality, low price
Tim, what DO you really do for a living???? At 20, I was lucky to keep up with my Derek and the Dominos album from move to move..... :) much less have a wall mounted tadeda ladeda TV.... man....
Shawn gotcha, check out NAD, Rotel, Diva, Paradigm, Denon, Onkyo, Rega(digital source), Kimber(PBJ, hero, 4pr), Acurus; all of those should do what you need them to and fit the bill.

Gunbunny- we are all allowed are own opinion of audio, and this is NOT another debate about the use of a center channel, I've been there done that NOT doing it again. I was simply pointing out that the audio bible(available from crutchfield, on sale this month for $14.99 plus shipping and handling, LOL) doesn't know all.

Angela-Well its more like what don't I do???? Between driving new cars every year and half(not always by choice;) expensive watches, guns, high end liquor(and all that goes with it), designer cloths and audio I need loads of cash to fund my project!! also I manage to stay single, which if I didn't I am sure that would exhaust all of my monetary units, and in a hurry! Does it ever end???? LOL but I enjoy every minute of it.
Tim
OK...let me try to take one more stab at this. Since you are splitting the TV with a roommate (I hope you have decided who takes it with them when you guys move) I think that I have a good suggestion for the rest. SC53 had a good Idea with the Outlaw audio. I have read nothing but good reviews on it for the most part. You can get unbelievable bargains on NAD nowadays, but from what I have heard, old NAD (which I have) is way better than new NAD, (with the exception of the "S" series) One of you can get the outlaw and take it with them when they move.

For the Speakers, I wouldnt recommend running 4 ohm speakers from a receiver. Many high end speakers are 4 ohm but they require alot of power. When mass market stuff is run in 4ohm mode, distortion ratings rise significantly from what I understand versus high end separates some of which I have heard are stable, and clean down to a 1ohm load. B&W 303's have been getting great reviews and I think they are about $150 a piece...Get 5 of these and a powered sub and your place will rock.

With regards to DTS 5.1. Lots of dvd's are being formatted this way and Music is also leaning that way with many artists remastering their stuff in 5.1. Only a handful of titles are available in 7.1 and 10.2 just had it's release not too long ago (I dont even know if it's in private homes yet although I'm sure Bill Gates & the likes have it) If I were you, I would opt to be the one to buy the speakers since they might end up being the most versatile part of the package. I sure wouldn't want to have to lug a 50" big screen with me from place to place.

Hope this Helps

P.S.
When it comes time for speaker cables & interconnects, one of the most important things IMHO is to upgrade from the standard RCA patch cords that come with the DVD player to better interconnects...even entry level is a BIG step up.