Black Bars. What's the deal?

I have a 55 inch Mitsubishi wide screen rear projection t.v. I own over 100 DVD movies and most of them are in 2.35 aspect ratio. When I play them I have top and bottom black bars on the screen. When I play the DVD's with 1.85 aspect ratio it fills the entire screen. In my t.v. owners manual it has a page warning you not to leave stationary or letterbox images on screen for an extended period of time and that uneven picture tube aging is not covered by my warranty. Example of these are letterbox top and bottom black bars, sidebar images, stock-market report bars, shopping channel logos & pricing displays, video game patterns and scoreboards, bright station logos and on-line internet web sites. I have been using my zoom function on my DVD player to fill the entire screen when using a 2.35 aspect ratio DVD. A fellow at my local audio video store told me that the black bars at the top and bottom can not burn a lasting image on my screen and when I use my zoom functiion to fill the screen it degrades the picture quality of the DVD. My question is: Will the black bars ruin my t.v or not? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jondon
I have a Pioneer Elite 16:9 TV and only watch DVD's on it and after 2 years I have had no problem with 'burn in' on my screen.I too shared much concern about this potential problem. My advice, pick up a Video Essentials DVD to properly calibrate your picture. Be sure to turn down the CONTRAST as much as possible to lessen the chance of burning in an image.Then quit being so paranoid and enjoy your TV ! As far as high def in a couple years being common place...I have some swamp land in Florida for sale.
Dear Amwarwick:

This is Morbius. You're wrong. The FCC pushed legislation through congress last fall specifying the need for, as well as the general format for a Hi-Definition broadcast standard in this country. To whit:

Any US transmitter, be it cable, satelight or RF TV Transmitter NOT broadcasting in this format By Midnight, December 31, 2005 will be SHUT DOWN on January 1, 2006. Period. This is an official Act of Congress that was legislated into existence. It is not subject to my opinion. Nor yours.

I suggest you contact your congressman before investing in more swampland and drowning in a lack of credibility.
morbius, you are naive if you think (1) that broadcasters will actually be shut down for non-compliance or, (2) that this will be the first time somone has ignored a federal mandate. please get off your high-horse.
National marketing statistics show that in the year 2000, Hi-Definition Projection Televisions comprised less than 12% of the total sales. In the year 2001, over 40% of the Projection TV market was in Hi-Definition Projection and TV Monitors. Current 2002 sales projections estimate that Hi-Definition TVs and large-format HI-DEF Monitors will exceed a 70% market share. It is obvious that Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hitachi and RCA have committed hundreds of millions of dollars in the Hi-Definition format. This is not a fanciful nor arbitrary decision. They have not gained their well earned credibility without extensive investigation before pumping millions into Research & Development of the HI-DEF format. They have done so to promote innovation and progress and make profit from it. To say that a new TV format will not be marketable is preposterous. For if this were the way of the world you would still be watching a Black and White TV. Indeed, if we as a society if the were resistive to new ideas in the field of broadcasting and turn a blind eye to innovation you would still be listening to a Marconi wireless.

Progress IS the essence of the electronic industry; and progress cannot exist without rendering established concepts obsolete. The previously established industry standards are continuously sacrificed on the alter of science and progress. Innovation is the fundamental necessity of engineering; as well as the prerequisite of a market driven economy. If you truly believe that new format will not be accepted I would draw your attention to the following:

The wax cylinder, the 78 rpm wax platter, Vinyl 45s & 33s, The 4 Track, the 8 Track, the Philips cassette, Beta tape, VHS tape, Beta HiFi, VHS HiFi, Digital Recording and Processing, Laser Discs, CDs and DVDs , SACDs, and on and on and on ...

As you starting to understand? History has proven time and time again that EVERY mechanical or electronic device or format ever created is doomed to obsolescence. It is the natural order of things. It is PROGRESS. And you can’t stop it because you disagree with it.

The evolution of this industry does not require your consent nor your understanding to be self perpetuating. TV will evolve into this new standard; just like every other broadcast and recording format has evolved. And the time is now. If you doubt this, call your local TV stations and ask them when they will start broadcasting in HI-DEF. I think the answer will surprise you. The market is ready. The public that has seen this format wants it. It has the blessings of the FCC. And it will spur the economy which is why Washington is behind it. You are standing at the dawn of the greatest revolution in the TV industry since we went color. TV will be a whole new world in 5 years. But don’t take my word for it. Just stay tuned....

(PS: By the way, if you think the Federal Communication Commission has no credibility or influence just start broadcasting on a radio frequency without an FCC license and watch what happens.)
Morbius,
Hey fella, take it easy. I'm sorry we have touched a nerve here. Chill out...we aren't making rocketships here. It's just some TV's!! I admire your enthusiasm and wishful expectations for nationwide employment of HDTV by 2005, but do you ever read the various home theater magazines? The FCC can say whatever they please. Bottom line is any mandate given for implementation of Hi Def broadcast by the FCC to transmitter's by whatever date, can and will be changed and for you to believe the manufacturer's claim's that by next spring 50% of all broadcasting will be done in HI-DEF is wishful thinking. You need to read more and educate yourself as to what is really happening and not necessarily rely on what the 'manufacturer's' tell you. By any chance is it possible that the manufacturer's have these glorious expectations to sell more TV's? Believe me, I hope you are right. I would love to start receiving HI-DEF.By the way, you aren't the sales guy who talked me into buying my Sony SCD-1 SACD player are you? Nice player, but total lack of software...the manufacturer said there would be lot's of software...still waiting how many years later!