Will adding 5-ch amp to receiver make a difference

I was thinking of adding a 5-ch amp to my Rotel RSX-965 receiver and was wondering what would be a good choice in the $1000.00 to $2000.00 range.Also as to what sonic improvments I could expect.I am using Klipsch Reference speakers RF-3II,RC-3II,RS-3II and a Velodyne CT-120 sub.Any help from the forum would be appreciated. Thanks
audioweb
What is your reason for doing this? If you could state what you are trying to achieve or what is unsatisfactory about the present system, a useful response might be possible.
kr4 is definitely asking the right question.

However, since power amps are relatively straightforward, it's reasonably easy to predict what might happen. For the MOST part, if you spent $2K (new), you'd expect to get quite a lot more power than your 75wpc receiver - as much as 200 wpc. Probably anything over 200wpc will run a LOT more than $2K. Usually this will translate to more impact and, as the audio guys say, more "slam". On the other hand, the difference between 200 wpc and 75wpc isn't as big as it sounds, about 4-5 dB which is just a little more than noticable. Your speakers are very, very efficient (good grief - I looked 'em up - 98 dB @ 1w @ 1 ft!), and they make your 75wpc go further than 200wpc goes for most of us. I think typical speakers are around 87 dB, so your speakers are already making your receiver behave 11 dB more powerful - which is a whopping great amount. It's hard to see how you'd make use of much more amplifier power. I'll be you don't ever turn the volume up very far!

At this point you're down to how well the amps do the details. For some folks, this is the whole ball game, but if your application is mostly HT, that might not even make much difference.

So we're back to kr4's question...