Problem with Home Theater Volume

This is driving me absolutely nuts, and is getting worse with time.

In surround sound modes my system has a major lack in overall volume. Set at max, I mean max, the loudest passages in a movie hits 95db at most. The problem is getting worse and worse and I am at a loss.

I have tried different DVD players, different digital cables/inputs, different power conditioners, different ac circuit for the pre amp to be plugged into, different amp ac circuit, different power cords. The late night mode is not on, I have reset all the settings to factory defaults in case I goofed something up.

Any ideas? The amp is 200x7 only using 5 channels and the speakers sensitivity is 90.5db.

Thanks
Marty
marty9876
While i'm not familiar with the Heron's, the fact that the Vega's will play as loud as you like tells me that the main culprit in this situation is your speakers. The fact that they used to play as loud as you like but no longer do so also points to your speakers, especially after verifying proper operation with the Vega's. My first step would be to contact their manufacturer and see what can be done.

I would also contact Sim Audio and inquire about the volume disparity when throwing the surrounds into the situation. I think that something is "funky" there too. Sean
>
Darryl- I missed you post. Currently the system is a 3.2 setup with the rears on order. All the channels act in this fashion. The center is 1-2db below the mains...The tv feed is basically the same, louder in 2ch playback with severe drop in surround modes.

I have the rears ordered from Meadowlark, Osprey's- 3 way floor tower type. When these come I should be able to compare and give Meadowlark clear reading from two different products.

Meadowlark wanted to know the output voltage under load, and now I have that info. Time to chat with them.

Thanks all
Marty
Hi - can't tell you what the problem might be with your system, but...

The THX standard for surround sound levels is: dialog 75dB and loudest sound 105dB. So if you're reading 100-105 dB at your viewing/listening position, your system may really be OK?

Using Terminator II Special Edition (re-mixed and remastered in THX), and using the recommended levels (at the viewing position), the loud passages will rock you out of your chair. Dolby and DTS levels are approximately the same as THX (I would have to go back to my references to find exact playback levels for each encoding system).

I have tested the 75/105 dB standard on all of my THX movies, and in fact, if you set the dialog at 75 dB - the loudest passage is right at the 104-105 dB level.