An odd idea

Got a question for all of you . . . .

I've been battling with the problem of optimizing 2-channel performance without compromising the coherence of my HT setup. I only have one room which is usuable for A/V gear, and it's loaded to the gills with speakers for HT.

I'd like to upgrade my amplification for 2-channel, but don't want to have to buy SEVEN channels of "good stuff," since that's a healthy chunk of cash and I'm happy with the HT performance of my Rotel gear.

So here's the question -- anybody ever tried hooking up one set of speakers to two different amplifiers? I'm thinking of a modified shotgun biwire cable, run backwards -- single end to the speaker, split ends to two different amps. Obviously you'd have to make sure you NEVER had both of the amps turned on at the same time . . . .

It seems to me that this would be preferable to using a switcher box, because that would put an additional "thing" in the signal path, where the split speaker cables would not.

Of course, my understanding of electronics would fit into a Vibrapod, so there might very well be a screamingly obvious reason why this would be a disaster in the making . . . .

Would this work? If it did, it would allow the use of completely different amps for 2-channel and HT without having to worry about the interaction of one with another, same for preamps.

I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone had here . . . .

Thanks!

Pat
tsrart
I agree with Sugarbrie. Use a 5 channel amp for the surround (center, rear, rear, side, side) and a 2 channel for the stereo. I may be too clumsy or risk averse, but I'll bet that, sooner or later, an accident will happen and both amps will be on at the same time in your configuration. You are right to try to avoid a switch within the stereo path (unless that's your only safe option).
The only problem with using the 2-channel in the HT setup is that I've gone to significant lengths to ensure that my HT setup is as cohesive as possible -- speakers with identical drivers all the way around, and identical amplification (at least in terms of sonic signature), and if I throw something different into the mix, the main L and R speakers are going to SOUND different than the center, rears, and sides, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm assuming that a $2000+ 2-channel amp (Bryston, Aragon, McCormack, etc.) is going to have a very different signature from my $1200 Rotel 5-channel . . . . for the price difference, it had better! ;-0)

Then again, maybe the difference wouldn't be that horrific. Unfortunately, I live in the sticks, and there are NO, repeat NO high-end dealers around here, so I don't have the opportunity to borrow something to audition and see how the mix sounds . . . .
You could also just use speaker cables with banana plugs, and then just manually switch the cables at the speaker to change between amps.
Sugarbrie --

That was my second choice idea . . . . you don't think I'd eventually cause wear damage to the speaker terminals through the repeated plugging and unplugging?
Putting a better amp on your main speakers will not hurt your movie sound at all,it will make it better. I have done it. Your speakers are a good match for each other so it will sound fine.