An odd idea

Got a question for all of you . . . .

I've been battling with the problem of optimizing 2-channel performance without compromising the coherence of my HT setup. I only have one room which is usuable for A/V gear, and it's loaded to the gills with speakers for HT.

I'd like to upgrade my amplification for 2-channel, but don't want to have to buy SEVEN channels of "good stuff," since that's a healthy chunk of cash and I'm happy with the HT performance of my Rotel gear.

So here's the question -- anybody ever tried hooking up one set of speakers to two different amplifiers? I'm thinking of a modified shotgun biwire cable, run backwards -- single end to the speaker, split ends to two different amps. Obviously you'd have to make sure you NEVER had both of the amps turned on at the same time . . . .

It seems to me that this would be preferable to using a switcher box, because that would put an additional "thing" in the signal path, where the split speaker cables would not.

Of course, my understanding of electronics would fit into a Vibrapod, so there might very well be a screamingly obvious reason why this would be a disaster in the making . . . .

Would this work? If it did, it would allow the use of completely different amps for 2-channel and HT without having to worry about the interaction of one with another, same for preamps.

I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone had here . . . .

Thanks!

Pat
tsrart
Prpixel --

Ouch! Remember that Vibrapod worth of electronics knowledge I mentioned earlier? THANKS for the warning . . . I will relegate that idea to the same dustbin as Communism -- "It SOUNDS like a good idea, but . . . ."

Mrpoindexter --

Thanks for the input -- like you, buying 8 channels worth of Aragon or McCormack isn't really an option, so it's good to hear from someone else who has successfully integrated "good" with "really good" and not had any issues.

Thanks again to all!
One of the regulars on this forum who is also an electrical engineer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that having your speakers connected simultaneously to two amps -- even if one of them is turned off -- may produce an undesirable electrical interaction. The electrical signal coming in from one set of speaker wires can still feed down the speaker cable going to the unplugged amp (assuming both sets of speaker wires are connected to the same binding post), which can lead to anomalies in the resistance/impedance, and may even produce undesirable EMF (electromotive backforce) similar to the current produced by the rearward movement of a speaker cone.

In short, even if one amp is always turned off and you NEVER make a mistake of leaving both amps on, this is probably a very BAD idea from both an electrical and audio viewpoint. I'd recommend doing what I do, and what others above have suggested: use a 2-channel amp for your main speakers, and a separate 5-channel amp for your center and surround speakers
One thing to remember about Home Theater is that there really is no 'reference' standard. Unless you have precisely the same speakers for Left, Center, and Right, channels your center channel will sound different than the others. In home theater, much of the sound comes out of the center channel, so you might want to upgrade your front three channel amplification (just a thought).

The other thing about home theater is that DVD recordings/sonics are not that good when compared to two channel audiophile recordings. Having speakers that are matched gets you 98% of the way there for good home theater balanced sound. Amplification is almost a secondary concern per se. What a better 2 channel amp will give you that you probably will notice is better bass response in the front two channels. I run 7.0 channel sound with my two channel system driving the L and R channel. My L, R, and C channels are all matched (Vienna Acoustic); however, my rears and sides are from a different speaker manufacturer altogether (Acarian Alon). The sound still is truly amazing. My L and R speakers play so low (22hz) that I have no need for a sub.

If you want a large leap in performance from your Rotel without breaking extreme budget, I would suggest going with something like an Aragon 3 channel amp used. Another option that could be very good would to be going with Monarchy SE100 monoblocks. I once drove a complete HT system with Monarchy monoblocks. These little amps sound awesome and are very good deals used.

There are a lot of ways one can go with amplification.

What I would not worry about is the different amplifiers driving your speakers. YOu have matches speakers, and that is 98% of the battle.

KF
NEVER feed one amp's output into another's! The output impedence of the "disconnected" amp is MUCH lower (0.1 ohms or less with ss) than any speaker, and you'll quickly blow up the unused amp, right?
Unless you feel your system is lacking in dynamics or sounds like it's straining at your listening levels, you might not want to replace the amp just yet. There are a bunch of tweeks you can to to the typical H/T setup to improve performance. The first would be to adjust speaker location and make sure there is plenty of room between the TV and L/R speakers. You may even have to move them forward so that they are not on the same plane as the TV. TV's are bad for sound and the bigger they are, the more problems they cause. Even better would be to get a plasma and get rid of the box altogether.
You could also try is getting new CD's. One reason people are happy with home theater performance is because movie soundtracks are recorded at a higher sampling rate and sound much better then your typical CD. But there is alot of variablity even amoung redbook cd's. Look for newly remastered copies, HDCD's or enchanced versions of your favorite songs, DTS cd's, or even DVD video. I wish there was more out there in terms of multi-channel audio because the sound really is fantastic.
As a last resort you might want to consider a tube CD player. Some people like the tweekability aspect they provide, but i personally never found them to improve the sound as much as finding a better recording.