An odd idea

Got a question for all of you . . . .

I've been battling with the problem of optimizing 2-channel performance without compromising the coherence of my HT setup. I only have one room which is usuable for A/V gear, and it's loaded to the gills with speakers for HT.

I'd like to upgrade my amplification for 2-channel, but don't want to have to buy SEVEN channels of "good stuff," since that's a healthy chunk of cash and I'm happy with the HT performance of my Rotel gear.

So here's the question -- anybody ever tried hooking up one set of speakers to two different amplifiers? I'm thinking of a modified shotgun biwire cable, run backwards -- single end to the speaker, split ends to two different amps. Obviously you'd have to make sure you NEVER had both of the amps turned on at the same time . . . .

It seems to me that this would be preferable to using a switcher box, because that would put an additional "thing" in the signal path, where the split speaker cables would not.

Of course, my understanding of electronics would fit into a Vibrapod, so there might very well be a screamingly obvious reason why this would be a disaster in the making . . . .

Would this work? If it did, it would allow the use of completely different amps for 2-channel and HT without having to worry about the interaction of one with another, same for preamps.

I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone had here . . . .

Thanks!

Pat
tsrart
Ah, a projector. I'd like to have a projector . . . . I'd like a pony, too. Unfortunately, they both have about the same likelihood of working out in my living room. Too much light for the projector, I fear (and too much rented carpeting for the pony). ;-0)

Thanks for the suggestion, though -- I'd wondered idly about the feasibility of retractable screens, so it's nice to know that they work.

And thanks for the info on using umatched speakers and amps -- now I'm not so paranoid about trying a partial upgrade.

Thanks again to all!

Pat
You might be surprised how much light you can tolerate with the newer high-output DLP and LCD projectors. Although you cannot manage with either the sun or even a ceiling lamp shining on the screen, the colors are less washed out than you might expect. I have two unshaded windows in my room, and I can watch TV during the day (football, auto racing) quite happily, except the 20 minutes or so that the sun shines directly through one window onto the screen.

Try it - you might like it!
Blw --

I live in a rented house, so cutting holes in things isn't an option . . . . can I get a projector and screen that I could mount without doing major surgery to the ceiling? Screws and bolts in the ceiling are no problem.
Projectors are pretty flexible today. At the moment, I am in a temporary room because we're in the process of building an addition. My projector is sitting on a shelf behind and over my head. Believe it or not, the screen is actually mounted on a 2x4 frame that is free standing. If you're sufficiently determined, you can definitely arrange for this. Drop me an email and I'll send you a photo.

In my last house, both the projector and screen were bolted to the ceiling. In my case I ran the cables through the ceiling and walls, but of course that's not 100% necessary.