Best tube integrated--Cary SLI-80, or?

I'm thinking of replacing the Krell KAV 300i in my 2nd system (I know, it's not the most musical-sounding component in the world), to drive my B&W CDM1-SE's. Having become a tube addict, & kind of always wanting a Cary amp of some sort, I'm thinking of the SLI-80.

Questions: the latest version of the SLI-80 just came out; I'm thinking it's probably hard to find used as yet. Does anyone have any knowledge of how it compares with earlier versions? And, I have an older model VTL ST-85 around......I could either sell that, & put the $$ towards the Cary, or buy a used tube pre-amp to use with the VTL.

Any advice would be appreciated!
steveaudio
I've been playing with NOS goodies in my SLI-80 as Jay states. There are a bunch of us (SLI-80 owners) and we are all overwhelmingly pleased with not only the amp, but the professionalism and great advice we get from the dealer we all bought them from, Kevin Deal.

The only thing we haven't agreed on yet, is which speakers are the best match with this amp. Though, Jay has just convinced me I need to go a pair of Meadowlarks (Shearwaters of Herons). So I'm going to do just that as soon as I can unload my Silverline and Soliloquy monitor/sub setup here on Audiogon.

The Rogue isn't in the same ballpark IMO.
There's a Cary SLI-80 for $2300 here on A'gon. The guy states that it is only 3 weeks old and getting rid of it because of his 11 month old.

Check out:

http://gonmain.iserver.net/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&995830146
The magic of the SLI-80 was lost on me. I spent a few days with one and felt the CJ CAV-50 was much better at $2500.00 and the Quicksilver seperates at $2095.00, bettered it too.No question NOS tubes would have made a big difference. I did like it's looks, nothing better then turning the lights off and watch those tubes glow. Thinking back it was probably the 6550s that didn't do it for me. Has anyone tried some Tungsol 6550s or Genelex KT88s?
Longplate, I put in a pair of Svetlana KT88's soon after I got mine, and they are quite a bit beter than the 6550c's. That, combined with some good NOS 6SN7's, and 7308's made my amp sooooo nice sounding compared to the stock tubes. Those power tubes you mentioned are a little too much $ for me, and I've found the 7308's give the biggest improvement over all, although of course I've never heard those classic power tubes, I'd love to some time...
Longplate: I don't think you gave the SLI much of a chance with the stock Sovtek garbage. We've all been playing with NOS goodies and exchanging our impressions.

I think I would be safe in saying that we all agree the Siemens 7308's are KILLER. Maybe the best 6922/6DJ8 for this amp. On the 6SN7's we're a little split. While I prefer the early 50's RCA 6SN7GT others prefer the Raytheon's. We all like the Svetlana KT88's.

Granted, this is an additional $500+ worth of tubes, but it makes all the difference in the world. And you can never have enough NOS tubes lying around. :-)