Best tube integrated--Cary SLI-80, or?

I'm thinking of replacing the Krell KAV 300i in my 2nd system (I know, it's not the most musical-sounding component in the world), to drive my B&W CDM1-SE's. Having become a tube addict, & kind of always wanting a Cary amp of some sort, I'm thinking of the SLI-80.

Questions: the latest version of the SLI-80 just came out; I'm thinking it's probably hard to find used as yet. Does anyone have any knowledge of how it compares with earlier versions? And, I have an older model VTL ST-85 around......I could either sell that, & put the $$ towards the Cary, or buy a used tube pre-amp to use with the VTL.

Any advice would be appreciated!
steveaudio
Marchman,
Moving on already? Wow. Well, good luck, let me know how things go. I think if/when I step up again, it'll be another Cary product. Let me know if you wind up with some extra 7308's and/or 6SN7's kicking around you'd like to get rid of :) Jay
Leafs: The only tubes we could've swapped would be the 88's and (at the time we listened) he already had a quad of Svets in the Tempest.

You should swap out those 12AU's for some 12AU7/6189 Radiotechniques and Tungsram ECC83's. I had some of both of those squirreled away here and let my buddy have a set for his Tempest (he's good to me too).

Although he's only had them burning for about 10 days now, initial impressions are that the two would have been tight. The Tempest has a much tighter bottom end now and a little less glare on the top. Just like I like it.

I won't ever be able to give you my opinions on this matter though. I've got my SLI-80 and CD-303 boxed up. They are on their way to San Fransisco, CA and I've committed to buy a Line 2SE and Power 2SE, which have been set aside for me.

I can't wait. I LOVE THESE TOYS !!! :-)
Marchman,I tried 2 different sets of the Radiotechnique with the date codes that Kevin recomends.Both where purchased locally and fortunatly I was able to return them.They where just plain noisy.I wnet with Mullards instead.this is in the Rogue Preamp.I have been thinking of trying some in my 120 Mono,s that is 12au7.I have the stock ones in it know.
one of best tube integrated is unison research s reference integrated one with 845 tubes.