Small and satisfying. Please help me.

OK guys. You've got me on the right track for a 37" plasma for my bedroom. I want to do it with surround sound. My wife is gung ho but wants it sweet, simple, small and not ridiculous $ wise. I heard this 5 way Bose surround set-up and loved it. Had all the qualities I'm looking for. Can I do better? Space, remember, is the MAJOR factor. My bedroom, although nice size, is still my bedroom. Thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
If you want to keep it real simple, there are a couple of ways you could go.
One, is to buy one of those packages like Sony, Nakamichi and many other companies make -- complete with DVD player, receiver, and speakers. But,
I think you can get better quality if you separate these purchases. Since you're going to lay out some $$$ for a plasma screen, you'll want to have a DVD player that will get the most out of it. Hopefully, one that is future ready with DVI output. After that, you still need a receiver and speakers. Depending on your budget, there is still another way to go. You could get a DVD player, a surround processor, and "active" speakers, which are amplified.
This way, you get speakers with amplifiers tuned to them, you get a surround processor instead of a receiver. There are several companies that make relatively small "active" speakers. What's your budget?
I just bought the 'Micro's' from Rutledge Audio Design:
http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/speakers.htm

They are very small and sound excellent. They have a smooth, balanced sound and the highs aren't harsh or brittle. They have a similar appeal to Bose in that they do midrange very well. However, the exceed Bose in that they have real bass, much more accurate sound, and are real wood veneers over thick MDF... and not cheap vinyl over particle board like Bose.

They sound better than anything I've heard under 1,k.

Good luck!
-C
Panasonic SC-DM3. Everything you want on the cheap. Been using it in my bedroom for a year. Even plays none region 1 discs. I got mine from Ebay for something around $300.
No one has mentioned the Aego 5. Comes in black or white with processor. The distributor is liquidating these on eBay. I bought mine for $425 shipped. Neat little system with good reviews from audiophile mags.