Small and satisfying. Please help me.

OK guys. You've got me on the right track for a 37" plasma for my bedroom. I want to do it with surround sound. My wife is gung ho but wants it sweet, simple, small and not ridiculous $ wise. I heard this 5 way Bose surround set-up and loved it. Had all the qualities I'm looking for. Can I do better? Space, remember, is the MAJOR factor. My bedroom, although nice size, is still my bedroom. Thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Rob (rsbeck) has shown me the light. A true gentleman and a scholar; and there's not many of us left. I'm not going 5 channel. Plain ole two monitors with a sub hooked to an integrated amp and a DVD player. That'll do me fine. Got to watch the 'gon for this stuff, 'cept the DVD player. Going to buy that new. Want to have DVI capabilities. Thanks my fellow audiophools. peace, warren
Now that I've made this decision maybe you can help me, again. Space like I said is a factor. Two speakers and a sub? Or would two monitors without sub do it? Just need enough quality sound to make movie watching more....wondering if a sub is really necessary in a bedroom. Could you suggest speakers that are small and have decent lower extension and inexpensive? I will be only about 4 to 5 feet from my set.
There are currently three DVD players that output video in DVI (Digital Video Interface). These are the Bravo D1 ($200), the Samsung HD931 ($300), and the Denon 5900 ($2,000). The Samsung has received mixed reviews, so it is
between the Denon and the Bravo, which has received better reviews than the Samsung. Personally, for DVD watching, I would opt for the Bravo at this point. No sense buying the $2,000 Denon 5900 for DVD watching when the
technology is changing so rapidly. In the next 6 months, more DVD players will come out with DVI and the technology is bound to improve. Then, there's also HDM1 around the corner. Currently, I know of no DVD players with this
capability and only a couple of plasma screens, including the new Pioneer models.
Correction: I have found ONE DVD player that has an HDMI output. The Pioneer Elite DVD Player: DV-59AVi. Hook that puppy up to a plasma or LCD screen that has an HDMI input and the eagle has landed! This will upsample and turn DVD into HD.

Panasonic has a 32" LCD that has a HDMI input. Now, you need an integrated amp and two speakers. Or, a pre-amp and two "active" speakers. If you go
the active speaker route, I would recommend Mackie's. They are pretty small,
but -- believe it or not -- they are bi-amped and have great top and bottom
extension. You can get two of them new for about $1,200. Just a suggestion.
You might be able to find some used if you look around at pro audio sites.
I'm on it. Problem with acitive speakers, it seems, would be finding a used preamp at a resonable price? could be dead wrong on that. I'll check the 'gon.