Small and satisfying. Please help me.

OK guys. You've got me on the right track for a 37" plasma for my bedroom. I want to do it with surround sound. My wife is gung ho but wants it sweet, simple, small and not ridiculous $ wise. I heard this 5 way Bose surround set-up and loved it. Had all the qualities I'm looking for. Can I do better? Space, remember, is the MAJOR factor. My bedroom, although nice size, is still my bedroom. Thanks in advance. warren
128x128warrenh
Correction: I have found ONE DVD player that has an HDMI output. The Pioneer Elite DVD Player: DV-59AVi. Hook that puppy up to a plasma or LCD screen that has an HDMI input and the eagle has landed! This will upsample and turn DVD into HD.

Panasonic has a 32" LCD that has a HDMI input. Now, you need an integrated amp and two speakers. Or, a pre-amp and two "active" speakers. If you go
the active speaker route, I would recommend Mackie's. They are pretty small,
but -- believe it or not -- they are bi-amped and have great top and bottom
extension. You can get two of them new for about $1,200. Just a suggestion.
You might be able to find some used if you look around at pro audio sites.
I'm on it. Problem with acitive speakers, it seems, would be finding a used preamp at a resonable price? could be dead wrong on that. I'll check the 'gon.
As Gilda Radner use to say on Saturday Night Live. "Never mind." There's oodles of pre amps for sale. Should be easy to find one should I go with the Mackies. That might be the best way to go, especially if the sound is good as you say.
Okay, reading up some more. Just to add more info: DVI and HDMI, apparently, are compatible. With an interconnect which has an HDMI connection on one end and a DVI connection on the other, these enabled units will work together to pass the uncompressed video signal in digital, which produces what is said to be a significantly better picture than component video. Some say it approaches the quality of high def. So, now you can consider all four DVD players for the 32" panasonic, which I am just assuming you will purchase. The Pioneer DV-59AVi goes for around $950. It is a universal player, as is the Denon 5900.
There are some used Mackie's selling on Ebay. You want the Mackie HR824.
Just a suggestion, but I like those speakers. They are rated to be flat down to 40 Hz and I believe it. Amazing high and low extension for a bookshelf monitor. Great sounding. Must be something to do with being bi-amped, with a more powerful amp for the bass. They can be used with or without a Sub-woofer. I don't know a lot about two channel pre-amps, but there are quite a few used ones selling on A'Gon.