Front projection or not?

Based on "recommended" screen to distance calculation of 2x, sitting 120 inches (10 feet..) from the screen gives me a max screen size of 60 inches.
I was toying with the idea of a front projector, but what would be the advantage of that over a plasma, LCD or rear projection (newer tech) tv?
Budget around 3k.
homer
Well Doc, you are right. That is what I did. I built a dedicated room with my old trusty Sony 46" built into the front wall. Then I pull down the screen for DVD's
If you watch lots of TV, get a plasma

If you watch lots of movies, get a projector
You could sit 10' from an 8' wide screen without having to turn your head.

Most scope transfers are new movies or restored epics and would look great at that width.

You'd want to run a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen (IOW, 96 x 41") to keep DBS satellite a watchable size and for 1.85:1 movies to be a reasonable size (76 x 41").

The constant height setup would be easy to mask with curtains.

Ideally you'd use a 9" CRT projector or 16x9 digital with an anamorphic lens to get there (the later may have visible projection artifacts that push you back farther).
As far as stereo imaging, getting box out from between my speakers (4' from the front wall, 7' between a line drawn through the tweeters and the listener) did wonders for it.

The sound stage on movie tracks also comes close to matching the screen (87" wide screen, 96" between tweeters).
I was leaning more towards a 4:3 native aspect ratio, I notice now that there are some projectors out on the market with dual nativity.