Hidden Audiophile Classics

Just about every audiophile has a few "hidden" classics - you know those great sounding recordings that never seem to appear on any super disc or recommended recordings list published in the high end audio press. Well there's no need for them to remain a secret - so how about sharing some of them with your fellow 'philes out here. My first contribution to the this thread is Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside This House" a great sounding 2 CD set from back in 1998 which while well reviewed, never recieved any praises for it's truly excellent sound. A studio recording of Lovett and his "small" band covering other songwriters tunes, the recording sounds like it was done "live" in the studio. The playing is tight and the personel remains fairly constant throughout - which is always a good sign. What are some of your "hidden" gems??
ralphp_nj
The 4 Seasons;on Bis (#275) Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble.Their Motzart 525 ain't bad either.
If you can find the original LP by Valerie Carter of "Wild Child"....what a voice...and about as seductive, without that being the goal, as any female vocal I have ever heard.
I've got another one for you: Chris McGregor Brotherhood Of Breath "Country Cooking" - 1988 on Venture/Virgin Records (LP 1-90998). The late Chris McGregor was a white South Africian jazz pianist, who left South Africa for England in the mid-1960's with the rest of his mixed race group, The Blue Notes whose other members included the late alto saxophonist Dudu Pukwana, the late trumpeter Mongezi Feza, the late bassist Johnny Dyani and still living drummer Louis Moholo. Throughout the 1970's and 1980's he led a wonderful big band in England called Brotherhood of Breath and this long out of print LP is just killer. Super arrangements, comopsitions, playing and first rate recording. If you look hard enough you could probably find it for a couple of bucks. Well worth hunting down. Also check out anything you can find with Johnny Dyani - who is one of jazz's great unsung bass players.
The Hunter by Jennifer Warnes. In my opinion much better than her Famous Blue Raincoat which was on everbodys list 10 or 12 years ago. This is a clean and dynamic recording it shows what a cd can sound like when recorded right.
Paul Winter and Friends "Celtic Solstice". Earth Music Productions 1999, manufactured and distributed for The Windham Hill Group by BMG Distribution. From the box; "An historic convergence of Irish and American Musicians within the Magnificent Space of the World's Largest Cathedral". Recorded at St. Paul's Cathedral, NY. I usually take this one along to audition gear. I like it, and so do the salespeople.