High on Thier List, But Low on Yours

Is there any piece of equipment out there that a lot of audiophiles and reviewers like or love that you think is, ummm, crappy?
ohlala
I never found the WATT/Puppy combo to be to my taste (haven't heard version 6 though). Probably because they are more designed for nearfield listening and I prefer a larger, more spacious sound, and maybe because I don't necessarily care that much about hearing everything on a recording and the shortcomings of upstream electronics vs. being moved by the music on the recording (sometimes too much detail can be a distraction). They just sounded too small, a beautiful and highly detailed but miniature version of an orchestra; I prefer the bigger sounds of Duntech/Dunlavy and Maggies.
B&W 801, Wilson speakers (for the money) Levinson Digitial and pre-amps, Audio Research, Wadia, and Meridian speakers. (sorry to those who love these, they just didn't work for me)
I think krell amps are very harsh and mechanical sounding. This is compared to pass labs, spectral, and hotrod mccormack amps. I can't stand VTL amps. I understand why some people would like them - the cool, neutral, detailed sound. To me they are icy cold and almost disturbing. Much prefer warmer tube amps. I didn't much care for the MIT 750 ref cables I tried, but that was likely a system matching thing. This thread is really a personal taste statement, and should be taken as such. Vote for me!
the most puzzling product for me is stereophile's speaker/product of the year: the avantgarde duo. i've tried, i really have, to appeciate 'em, listening to several setups at 2001 ces but....... the second place on my list belongs to the biggest of the pipedreams. they sound only ok and the image produced of a single acoustic guitar, e.g., makes the instrument appear 40 feet high.
Thanks for reminding me about VTL John_l. I am in complete agreement with you on that. I really have put forth an effort into liking both Audio Research and VTL power amps. But always found them cold, analytical, and crystalline. That is not to say those adjectives cannot be applied in a positive way(Electrocompaniet or new Musiscal Fidelity). Just that AR and VTL are to me the definition of the dark side of those descriptions(lots off ss amps are as well). I generally think many who buy them really prefer the sound of solid state, but like the cache of tubes. Pride of ownership. They do not have the sound that justifies a tube purchase to me. If I did like that sound, I would buy solid state equipment instead.