MY Sidewinder AC cord progress:

This is a demo from the Cable Company. They burned it in for 250 hours, and sent it to me. I plugged my Krell amp into it, and directly into the wall outlet. After a 24 hour settling time, I listened. Very bright, dynamically laid back, zero bass in the bottom two octaves, wide and shallow soundstage (that's a function of the brightness, IMHO). So far, not the best AC cord I've tried with my amp. MORE LATER....
carl_eber
Carl out of curiosity how many AC cords do you keep in your home collection. I have known the dilema you are describing with different trade-offs, and personally have 3 sets of interconnects, 2 sets of speaker cables etc.....this is expensive habit but it is hard to find a cable that works in all situations, especially as your system changes over time.......if only it were that simple
Yes, it is good to have more than one set for different aspects of performance. I only have one set of AC cords that I own right now, and just want to get the best that I can get, so I'm auditioning tons of different ones, and have been doing it for 6 months. It's sort of fun, because I do feel like I'm closing in on it.
BLACK MAMBA on CD player, SIDEWINDER on amp (from my notes):..............(These are just in the order I made note of them, you'll have to read the whole thing to decipher the positive from the negative aspects).........................Despite an upper bass hump, allowed me to hear into the deep bass range more clearly, even though it wasn't as loud. The deep bass was better focused, and I was somehow able to hear deeper, even though it was proportionately quieter and with less weight/slam. The TONAL ANOMALIES were still there (from the last combo I tried, where the Sidewinder was also on the amp, then). I.e., the upper midrange and treble were shelved up a little. Images seemed to float less freely of the speakers, and the background wasn't as black (when compared to the Black Mamba-CD/Proteus-amp combo). There was a grainy, hazy type of distortion thru pretty much the whole range (it had not been near as noticeable as, say, with the Sidewinder on the CD player, and the Proteus on the amp). The entire presentation was decidedly DIGITAL, not exactly a good thing (however the "jump" factor was the best it's been, so that was terrific, and by far THE BEST ASPECT of this combo). The treble was still forward, and attack transients were definitely hyped. The upper midrange could (again) turn hard at times. DESPITE ALL OF THIS NEGATIVITY, fatigue after long periods of listening wasn't as high as it has been with lesser AC cord combos, but as we all have been known to say, "it still wasn't exactly what I'm looking for", either..................And also to the credit of this combo, I did prefer it this way, as opposed to having the Black Mamba on amp, and Sidewinder on CD player. As I've already indicated, upper bass pitch specificity and dynamics (rhythm and "snap" factor) were OUTSTANDING, and do surpass all other combos (so far) in this regard.................Plucked acoustic guitar strings sounded "hi-fi", their attck transient over-hyped/delineated, and somewhat unnaturally related to the wooden body sound................Stage depth was quite good, but again with high frequency sounds coming slightly disconnected and forward several feet from where they really are in the recording's acoustic. The outlines of an instrument's edges were hyped, and the midrange/treble did possess an almost "cheap solid state", unrefined quality. The wonderful ANALOG QUALITY that was present in the mids and his of the Mamba-CD/Proteus-amp combo was COMPLETELY gone......................The extra distortion present in the mids and treblewas similar in character to that of a compression horn driver, but to a lesser degree. TO SUM UP: Putting the Sidewinder on the power amp (with Black Mamba on CD player) barely seemed to help, more than it hurt. This of course will vary depending on what one feels is important, besides the myriad system matching factors out there. THE TRADE OFF is tonal and image refinement, for dyanamics (from the upper bass, and upward) and imaging solidity. The Balck Mamba is SOOOO tonally refined (on the CD player, less so on the amp...also current limited a little bit on the amp) that IMHO it would be a shame to throw that refinement away in order to get the limited (albeit substatnial) benefits, from what the Sidwinder did right in this combo. I suppose if an otherwise similar system to mine, was EXTREMELY LAID BACK, but had subterranean bass extension, and otherwise had the creamiest/smoothest timbres and tones on earth (to a fault), then this combo would perhaps be well suited.
One more aspect of the above combo: I like rock music, and have been using a live concert CD often: Rush's "Different Stages Live". I must say that the drum solo (with the above AC cord combo) on disc 2 was really a singular experience in my life with the Maggie MMG's! I WAS FORCED TO SMILE WIDE AT HOW GOOD THIS DRUM SOLO SOUNDED. The start/stop factor was just amazingly good, combined with the dynamic and tonal detail of Neal Peart's drum kit. "I was there".....
Forgive me for being so long winded lately, but all I'm really doing is quoting my notes.................This will be my impressions of the BLACK MAMBA power cord on CD player, and TIFFANY T-60 power cord on power amp................................More tonal neutrality, but the midrange got kind of noisy, and could turn quite "hard" at times (it's never done that with the Tiffany cord before; a curiousity). The air between instruments was not as clear as the most recent combo (from directly above: Black Mamba-CD player/Sidewinder-power amp). However, bass extension was thankfully helped. It had more weight, but also gave up a large amount of pitch definition and upper bass "snap". I'm really missing that aspect of the Sidewinder, by far it's strongest performance feature (it's now on its way back to the Cable Company).....................The entire soundstage's depth became truncated (again when compared to the previous ac cord combo), but now at least the treble range was not being projected forward at all. Basically, there was a tad less resolution and some grain added, with less refinement, and less liquidity. The images of instruments were less distinctly defined in space, with less ambient/reverberant detail retrieval. Fine detail just didn't get resolved like the Sidewinder could do, but dynamic contrasts were better (except in the treble)........................Tonal balance was EXTREMELY even, and the timbral color of midrange instruments seemed more faithful, but less detailed and liquid. The Tiffany didn't start and stop as quick, but revealed the dynamic envelop with a more even handed approach to the entire frequency range. The Tiffany, in this combo, was slightly less fatigueing after a long listening session. I attribte this to less "hyping" of the upper bass and treble ranges.