John Dunlavy On "Cable Nonsense"

Food for thought...

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html
plasmatronic
In a recent post, Detlof mentioned that he tailored his system to "his ears", i.e. the kind of sound reproduction HE likes. I subscribe to this view and, thereby, my opinion on equip is tainted with my preferences in musical reproduction.

Cables are part of the system and, assuming they contribute a sonic signature (i.e. different cables can make the system sound different), "that cable is best that supports/enhances MY sound the best".

In this respect, I also subscribe to Doc's view above, in that "vast improvements in sound (can) be hooey". Only vast if enhancing YOUR sound. If not, hooey (despite positive audiophile adjectives...).

Can't we say that cables are both a personal and system dependant affair?
Docwarnock - Some people view audio gear as a hobby or an obsession like modifying cards. A guy who puts a new $1,000 exhaust in his car to gain 1/10th of a second in the quarter mile (a statistically insignificant gain in power, according to you) might look crazy to some. A guy who puts a new $1,000 power cord to gain 1dB of improvement in some area might also look crazy. But both guys are trying to make their gear the best it can be, not fit into the pefectly average category.
Greg makes a good point, if someone moves a throw pillow to a different chair in my house, I would notice it, and say that it was a significant change (positive, or negative). If someone comes to my house, and is not very familiar with it , that person would not perceive anything wrong, or different. It is my complete familiarity with my room arranements that allows me to notice significant differences in what might be a subtle difference to someone else. Same with cables and systems. These tests don't prove or disprove much of anything, but if one person can hear differences 100% of the time,then anyone saying there is no difference is a fool.
Jay, I think that you may misunderstand what I said. In your example, the gain in power may be real and thereby detectable as "statistically significant". But it is the practical significance of such a trivial gain that is in question. And I agree with you that people who are willing to go to such great lengths, both financially and otherwise, to exact such trivial differences do indeed "look crazy" (your words), or at least a little neurotic.
Jaykapur, be real careful who you modifying cards with! Some guys get real angry when cards are marked. :-)