New Analog system. where to start?

I have never had that much interest in a tube/analog system but it seem as though after reading all the raves about the sound I want to take the plunge. I am going to use a CJ MV-60 for my power and I haven't decided on a turntable or pre yet. I am a complete novice in this area so any help from you tube or vinyl guru's would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a pair of Maggie 3.6's that I would like to use as my speakers but I am open to suggestions for other, more suitable speakers. I'd like to keep the turntable set-up around $1000 for now and the pre amp priced accordingly with the rest of the gear mentioned. Thanks guys.
kgb540
"I think if I was to buy a table/cart with a 1k budget, I would go for the sure thing with the fewest sources for trouble."

Thanks for choosing a Technics SL-1200MK II w/ tonearm fluid damper.
Gumby, the Sota is NOT finicky to set up or maintain. Once you've got it dialed in, you're home free. Like anything else, there is a small amount of basic maintenance that one does have to do to it though. That is why they chose the "hanging" suspension that they did over the "shock absorber" type of spring suspensions that most other tables use. Not only is it more effective in terms of isolation, it is also a LOT lower maintenance.

As far as the Sota goes, it is the most resistant to acoustic feedback, "heavy footfalls" or high volume levels of any turntable that i have ever seen tested. It beat a Linn LP 12 in a head to head comparison by over 40 dB's in terms of isolation from shocks to the base. If you're using your TT on a suspended floor, have speakers capable of high level low frequency output or just plain listen to music loudly, this is a factor that you CAN'T overlook. That is, unless you've taken the time to actually set up a dedicated TT platform of some type. Even then, the Sota is still MILES ahead in terms of its' own natural isolation.

As to your cartridge testing from table to table, this would require a LOT of time and work to do correctly. Each cartridge would require being optimized for VTA, tracking force, anti-skate, etc... from arm to arm. You would have to re-adjust this every time you changed cartridges and / or headshells. If you tell me that you did all of that each time, then i'd put some creedence to your test results. Otherwise, i would not consider the results worth much of anything other than personal preference in less than optimum installations. Sean

PS... I'm not saying that the Sota is the ultimate table by any means. I don't have near as much experience as many others here that are "diehard vinylheads". I have found that it is the only table that i and several others that i know have had good luck with. Even those that have moved on to MEGABUCK tables ( ala Rockport's, etc.. ) still have their Sota's as a "spare".
Sean: Yep. We spent most of a summer with the two.
Brought them both to the shop the SOTA came from and had them tinker as well. Weeks was weeks!
It took so long because we could NOT understand why we got the results we did. Certainly wasn't for lack of trying.
I was talking about sound, not insulation against poor floors and heavy walking.
I have to laugh about your statement about the TT platform of some type :>)
I have a 4X4 into many feet of concrete under my house with 4 feet of it sticking through my floor. :>)
I can have a line dance in my living room without issue.

Thank God for diversity.

Psychicanimal:Like the bible thumpers, taking a sentence out of context only makes you look like a....well, you finger it out. You certainly have done a good job!
Gumby- you've posed a good, decent, reasonable question to Psychic as others have before you. The reason he can only come up with smart-ass comments in reply (or no reply at all)is that he has little or no real basis for his "opinion" or the "facts" he presents. Typical juvenile reaction to the fear of being "found out".

I challenge Psychic to answer the question you posed to him on 5/18 ("What is it that you found "better" out of the SOTA....?") No quoting others, no repeating the sales literature or the magazine reviewers, just cogent thoughts on your actual experiences with SOTA vs P3 and your 1200 in a listening (not nightclub) environnment. Compare & contrast and support your thoughts.

Jim