New Analog system. where to start?

I have never had that much interest in a tube/analog system but it seem as though after reading all the raves about the sound I want to take the plunge. I am going to use a CJ MV-60 for my power and I haven't decided on a turntable or pre yet. I am a complete novice in this area so any help from you tube or vinyl guru's would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a pair of Maggie 3.6's that I would like to use as my speakers but I am open to suggestions for other, more suitable speakers. I'd like to keep the turntable set-up around $1000 for now and the pre amp priced accordingly with the rest of the gear mentioned. Thanks guys.
kgb540
Jim, I like the foil idea. I think I will mate it to a couple of supercharged fat blocks ordered right from Merc :>)
Then I will be able to know the true meaning of practical.

The system in the boat has been something that I have been considering marketing for quite some time. I mean, it stands to reason that a set of Speakers with a 12" woofer hanging out the rear would make good bass. But the imaging from this thing.....AWESOME! And it makes ANY MP3 sound great!
There is no longer a need for 320 MP3's just do them at 128...and you will be all set.
(Of course it might just be that the sound is so muddy you cant tell......)
"River Tunes" are mostly live shows anyway. Played at night while the boat is beached and the campfire teases your eyes into illusion-as the s'mores get made and the head gets..wasted..well. What were we talking about?

Sounds like you have a good system. How hard was the sub to make invisible?
Gumby- The 12" woofers on the stern is a great idea. If you have room, have you considered some old 15" Altecs? (With the cavernous hull, bass response would be as God intended.) Just remember to use some good sealant as you may catch a stern wave coming back to you as the boat comes down from the 'foils. You may also have to do some research to determine who makes a woofer that can take an oncoming stern wave. Maybe those scintific journals cam help you come up with a calculation for determining the forces involved. In any event, don't use paper coned elements......

With regards to sub matching, the key was an active x-over set at a point as low as possible. In my case, it turned out to be around 50 HZ. Both the x-over and powered sub have a volume control and the x-over had a couple of slope selections, so a smooth transition was relatively easy. This particular speaker model seemed to benefit greatly from this set up- MUCH cleaner sounding as it had previously struggled with the low end even at moderate volumes. (Don't know if you were aware that an active x-over eliminates low frequencies from going to the mains while a passive does not.)

Well, got done with the chores this morning and headed out to the lake for some sailing. Have yourself a great Memorial Day holiday!

Regards
Jim
Jim,
Ahh the hum of a new 4 stroke outboard......... Besides the resonance at about 2,200 RPM, the thing is heaven to run now.
Of course, I have blown all my play money for the year. Guess I won't be trying those Altecs after all. :(

I think we should start a boat audio company. The selection for boat sound is for shit. (Did I forget expensive too?)

I wonder if you came up with a weather resistant system that could be broken up a bit for different installs and kept the thing reasonable....if you could make any money at it?

Hmmmm. I guess you know you could not get perfect imaging out there, but there are advantages to pure DC from a battery. Some of the lower powered CD players out there work well when coupled to home speakers.

We could charge 12,000.00 for our "signature" systema nd send out a tech to set it up after it was built. Get a few guys with some RS/Fostex drivers and to go out and install them. Why not? 3/4 of the companies out there are doing the exact same thing. :)

Sorry I have been so long in responding, but I have been floating a lot lately :)
Capitol idea, Gumby. Anytime a product has the word "marine" on it, the price is double or triple. How about we call ourselves the "Marine Audiophile Equipment Corp"? Your marine version of the LP12 (complete with gimbaled macrame hanging ceiling mount and bungee cords) could retail for at least $10,000, plus installation.

Say, BTW, did you decide on a cartridge? On a previous thread you had started, you were looking for something around $250. Update us!

Well, gotta get the boat fixed before our race tomorrow. We pulled the jib track off last time and it doesn't sail as well without it.. (No kidding- 40 kt blow and the nuts sheared, literally pulling the track off!) No big deal though- no damage to the deck.

regards
Jim
Hmmm, where was I??
Umm, yeah. It has been that damn sun Ive been getting.
Too much of it and not enough work in front of this wonderful screen.
I have been thinking about your suggestions....and I think instead of the LP12, we should market the 1200.

I know an expert on setting those up.