balanced are they worth it?

I am thinking of upgrading to transparent ultra from supers and was told that balanced are better and worth the extra cost ? please no transparent bashers this is only a balance questions.
kevinm257
It has been my experience that when dealing with long lengths (say 3m or more) that balanced is the way to go. If we are talking about a 1m or 1.5m length then you will probably not "hear" any difference between the xlr or rca versions unless your gear is subject to picking up hums via cables draped over each other, etc. Of course your measurements may vary. Sometimes we audiofools tend to be happier when we know we have done everything to maximize our return and using balanced cables gives us this "piece of mind" irregardless of whether we can distinguish any differences or not...
I switched from Super balanced to Ultra and I have been very happy with the results. From what I have read on posts here though it can be very system dependent. So I would make sure the dealer is willing to swap them back if you do not feel it is worth the bucks. You may want to try single ended "reference". If I remember correctly they are around the same price. Good luck.
In my system, balanced cables perform much better. I get greater gain and a much more open sound. In comparison, RCA cables sound quiet and compressed. However, I do feel that cable performance is system dependent, so results will vary. Furthermore, I have used both Transparent Super and Ultra cables. I feel that the Ultra is a significant improvement over the Super. And, the XLR version is even better: clean, open, and smooth. If you would like more information, please email me. I would be happy to discuss this topic with you.