Add a DAC or buy a new CD player?

I currently have a Rotel 855 and am looking to upgrade. I plan to spend less than $1500. Am I better off adding a DAC or buying a new one-box player?
kadlec
Hi Kadlec, I agree with Sedond. A good pre is a must if you want to get the most out of your digital. If you are going to use a pre-amp everything is going thru it so it only makes since to use a good one. Right on Sedond.
I left out two bits of info in my original question. I have a pretty good preamp (classe 6) and a large collection of 16-bit cds.
Get a MSB Link DAC. The new version III can be upgraded with a simple add on board later to future standards. Or pick up the original Link I cheaper. The Link II I beleve can be upgraded, but only by the company?? There is also a Cambridge Audio S700 DAC for auction on this site by some dealer. It has a DAC-7 converter and HDCD. Is also its own issolation platform. Don't know his reserve, list is $600.
hi kadlec, i also had a *pretty good* preamp - the linn kairn, w/its latest iteration of the switchmode power-supply, is no slouch. but, it *is* solid-state. i think digital needs tubes. rogue audio 99 preamp (if your amps' input impedence is high enuff), cary slp98, melos ma-333/music director, or melos sha gold/reference/maestro, would *all* give ya better sound/dollar than your classe w/upgraded cd, imho. (these are yust the ones *i've* personally heard). all the above can be had for less than $2k, the sha gold, for less than $1k. all are also f/s here, & on other classified audio sites, btw... doug
Idisagree about the preamp. if your source is not as good or better than the preamp you may feel the CD is letting you down with it's then more noticable grainyness/artifacts. I WOULD get a new CD PLAYER as the "jitter" issue in separates makes them a much more expensive proposition for the same quality of a current CD player. The Stereophile rec the Adcom 750 at (new price increase) $1400 or the Rotel at $1300. (The Rotel is soon to be discontinued, and the Adcom has a RCA digital input) I personally find digital sources need to be of a higher standard than the rest of the system to be listenable. A cheaper CD in a killer system is worse than death... it's torture.