Who will survive? One last table til I die.

I want to buy a final turntable (call it 25 years worth of use until I can't hear or don't care). I want to be able to get parts and have it repaired for the next quarter century. I would also like the sound quality to be near the top or upgradable to near the top for that time period. I don't necessarily require that the manufacturer be solvent that long (the preferable situation), but otherwise the parts would have to be readily available and the design such that competent independent repair shops be able to fix it. I won't spend more than $10,000 and prefer (but don't require) an easy set up that doesn't need constant tweaking. I'm willing to pay for the proper stand and isolation needed over and above the initial cost.

I've got 9,000 LPs, and it doesn't make sense to start over replacing them with CD/SACDs (although I have decent digital equipment) even if I could find and afford replacements. Presently I have a CAT SL-1 III preamp and JL-2 amp, Wilson speakers, Sota Cosmos table, SME IV arm, and Koetsu/Lyra Clavis/AQ7000nsx cartridges.

Thanks in advance for your input. Steve
suttlaw
Hi, guys:

I think my Airy2 is finally getting broken in. I've been playing the Cardas sweep record and the process accelerated. I spent last night with the Sheffield Drum record, specifically trying to optimize tonearm/cartridge setup for dynamics, and I was impressed with the improvement. I finished by playing Stanley Clarke's Schooldays, one of my longtime dynamic touchstones, and the dynamic impact was as good as I've had. Then, to see if I had compromised other important parameters, I switched to Ella and Joe Pass on a Pablo (my favorite "unknown/ignored" label) LP, and her voice was silk and his guitar fullbodied with good overtones. I'm going to live with the Airy2 for awhile before making a final decision on changing cartridges, but last night I was pleased.

A quick aside, the VPI JMW arm has the easiest VTA adjustment I've ever had the pleasure of using. It allowed me to quickly and accurately repeat VTA settings for comparisons. Sure beats my old method of using a sparkplug calibration tool to repeat settings.

I was interested in Dougdeacon's comments about the Airy3 dynamics problem with certain tonearms. My HRX, of course, came with the JMW and, since there is no separate armboard, the plinth is drilled specifically for the JMW. Obviously I am reluctant to drill new holes in my pretty new plinth, so it will take a lot to get me to change to an arm that doesn't fit in the JMW mounting holes. (Are there others?) And, as luck always has it, just before stumbling on the HRX buy, I had purchased a brand new Graham 2.2, which I now have sitting in an unopened box.

As to the $3400 tonearm cable question, I think I'm more inclined to put that kind of cash towards a new phono stage first. I was hoping someone would come up with God's greatest tonearm cable for under $1000 but you guys have too much experience with the really good (read, oh my god, does heaven really cost that much?) equipment.

I'm also thinking about a new preamp, possibly a linestage so I could use whatever phono stage I liked best. The Steelhead, though, offers an interesting alternative. Using it as my preamp as well as my phono stage might make it cost effective.

Interesting that Raul mentioned subwoofers, because I've been thinking that should be my next move. I definitely plan to add a pair before even contemplating a main speaker change (Watt Puppy 5.1s, now the oldest component in my chain). I've been looking for Vandersteen 2Wq's as a reasonable costing and sized tryout option.

I do agree with Gregadd about tubes, relying on specs, everything is a filter, etc. Since I am unencumbered by any surplus of technical knowledge, I just plug it in, turn it on, listen, and decide. I was into solid state early (remember the Audio Research SP4?)as the wave of the future but eventually found tubes were more satisfying. I do admit, though, that I have not tried any of the new top solid state gear.
Gregadd,
Excellent and well-argued post, at least when I read it through my many-colored glasses. ;-)

Suttlaw,
Glad to hear the Airy2 is breaking in well. The choice between it and the Airy3 really is a matter of system synegy and taste. If it gives you ample dynamics then it's presumably a good match for your system. Since your tastes are, "unencumbered by any surplus of technical knowledge", I presume that leaves them free to like what sounds most musical without other prejudices. Sounds like a short path to enjoyment to me. You are living the life!
Dear Gregadd: You, like me, have to learn a lot on all those issues.

****" Every component in every system either adds or subtracts something to or from the signal. "****, I agree with you, but that is not the issue:

***" The tube amplifiers can't do it, it is impossible by the physics laws), only can function like an equalizer sound reproducer. All the tube amplifiers change their frecuency response with the changes in the impedance of the speakers and this speaker impedance ( normally ) change with the frecuencies,...."***. The problem with the tube electronics is that these changes are really great against the same issue in SS electronics ( read the frecuency response of tube amplifiers in the tests that Mr. Atkinson ( Stereophile ) do to any amplifier. And that tests is with a constant impedance ( he always use resistors at 8-4-2 Ohms ) that is far from reallity because the impedance of the speakers is always changing. Try to find the review of that Wavac amplifier that send you back 350,000.00 and you and any one can understand what I'm talking about. ). By any standard the tube electronics are the greatest equalizers in the audio world ( I'm not talking here if you like it or not, that is other issue ).

******" Every component in the chain is extremely important, things reproduced properly in one component can be easily lost in another."****, I agree with you, thats why I write:

**" I think that almost all of us have a duty: take care for that the signal sound reproduction be the less degraded signal in our system. "*** The tubes electronics ( at any stage in the audio system ) are the links that degraded more the signal in an audio system ( other than: room and speakers ). You have to know, too, that the tubes function like " signal generators ": the tubes create harmonics that does not exist in the original signal and the problem is that you can hear that harmonics through your audio system.

****" Solid state guys always try to hide behind accuracy. "****. First than all I only be in favor of music and the best technology ( at least for today ) for the music reproduction is: SS electronics, I always be with the technology that can give me the " best " for the music reproduction: when you can understand this then you will be near to the MUSIC.

The problem with many people in this forum is that you never hear a SS based audio system that was build with care and for people that really cares about music. Yes I know that many of you already hear very very expensive ( SS based ) audio system that does not like you: but you don't like it not because the SS electronics but because the owner of that audio system do not really cares about: MUSIC REPRODUCTION or maybe there are no good sinergy on that system. Till you can have that experience it will be very difficult that you can understand of what I'm talking about tubes or cartridges. I'm not against the tubes: I'm in favor of music, I take around 20-30 hours each month for to listen live music. How many hours do you or any of you take hearing live music each month?. I appreciate that all of you give and answer to this question.

Regards and always enjoy the music ( not our system ).
Raul.