Who will survive? One last table til I die.

I want to buy a final turntable (call it 25 years worth of use until I can't hear or don't care). I want to be able to get parts and have it repaired for the next quarter century. I would also like the sound quality to be near the top or upgradable to near the top for that time period. I don't necessarily require that the manufacturer be solvent that long (the preferable situation), but otherwise the parts would have to be readily available and the design such that competent independent repair shops be able to fix it. I won't spend more than $10,000 and prefer (but don't require) an easy set up that doesn't need constant tweaking. I'm willing to pay for the proper stand and isolation needed over and above the initial cost.

I've got 9,000 LPs, and it doesn't make sense to start over replacing them with CD/SACDs (although I have decent digital equipment) even if I could find and afford replacements. Presently I have a CAT SL-1 III preamp and JL-2 amp, Wilson speakers, Sota Cosmos table, SME IV arm, and Koetsu/Lyra Clavis/AQ7000nsx cartridges.

Thanks in advance for your input. Steve
suttlaw
Perhaps we can talk some time about the real weakness of tubes. Diminshed performance at the frquency extremes. Less than optimum perfomance when it comes to transient attack. See, the absolute sound issue 147 "tubes vs transistors" Can you get true dynamics from a two watt amp? What problems do horns or otherwise highly efficient speakers cause?
That's a new thread.
I always learn something from Rauls' comments. Unfortunately it's not always what he was trying to teach me. I think the point he was trying to make is that output impedance can effect spectrum balance. Fair enough! To say that you can't design around that problem in a tube amp goes to far.
Raul is right on another point. Paying attention to specs can help in trying to match components. For example amp and speaker should be thought of as a system in istself. Turntable, tonearm, catridge and preamp should be purchased as a mini system. All too often we go out and by the product of the month and jam it into an incompatible system. Many reviewers and salesman simply don't know how to match components. We also need to avoid the spec of the month club.
Thanks TWL for doing the research for us. I looked at the amp tests in Sterophile. I can see how Raul was misled( or misinterpreted the data.
Raul, keep punching! Converts are won one at a time!
Gregadd, those frqequency extreme and transient softness issues are also output transformer related. Not necessarily related to tube response. Tubes can provide very wide frequency extremes, and fast speed, when done properly.
Hmmm... Audioholics seems to have somewhat contradicted the information that Thomas J Norton of Stereophile presented in his article about amplifier stability / frequency response into various loads. The Stereophile article ( which i've linked to more than a few times ) shows the differences in frequency response between SS, tubed and hybrid designs when fed into the same loads. After looking at those results, it is quite obvious that a "decent" SS amp will maintain a more consistent amplitude linearity over a wider bandwidth than a "typical" tube based amp ( if there is such a thing ). Before making any further comments though, i need to read the entire Audioholics article and study their test procedures and results, not just look at an excerpt.

Thanks to Twl for bringing this to our attention. Sean
>
Here's a link to the entire article.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/dampingfactor.php

I copied the entire 2nd page in my previous post, which related to the issue we were discussing.

However, on the first page there is more info regarding the misconceptions of large amounts of overhang or time-delay that has commonly been attributed to tube amplifiers, and found to be not true by these measured results from Audioholics.