FM Reception question, please

I have a Pioneer TX 9500 II tuner and have it hooked up to that antenna that is a wire shaped like a "T". Reception is farly good but I thought that I could improve it with an indoor antenna designed specifically for FM. Needless to say, I bought the top of the line Terk amplified indoor antenna and found that my signal was roughly half as good as copared to the wire. I tried alternate positioning and different gain settings to no avail. What gives? Do I have to go to an outdoor antenna to get better reception? Thanks for your interest.
128x128pugstub
Ryan,
I'm in the Grand Valley of western Colorado. We have a dozen or so stations in the valley and high mountains preventing reception of anything farther away than 20 miles. Terrain in the valley is very flat. Perhaps my circumstances are too unusual to serve as an example.
It won't be long now and someone is going to claim that there is a difference in the sound of different antennas, besides noise, of course.
inp that may be stretching things just a bit, but the quality of your downlead coax cable will in fact influence the Q of your received signal. Quad shielded RG-6 coax (available from Radio Shack) is typically the preferred approach.
Antenna Performance in East Hartford CT has a great FM antenna. I went to Radio Shack first, which was certainly good, and the rotor is a good idea. But you need to go to the attic or outdoor route, roof or tall pole.