Placette, VS First Sound VS Audio Synthesis Passio

I'm looking for a very pure & simple passive preamp, 1IP, 1OP. Anyone do an A/B demo on these. I talked to Placette Audio and still don't understand how his unit functions. From researching I gather that an L-Pad design using only Vishey Resistors(inc grnd)is the way to go. There only would be 2 resistors in the signal path at all times no matter where the dial is....no relays..etc in the signal path. I believe Audio Synthisis uses this as well as the original First Sound reference II signature mono unit with vishay R which I never seen.

Will a remote add coloration as well as muting etc.
weaudiocables
The Placette Active Linestage is a beautiful preamp. In it's egonomics, aesthetics, and sweet sweet highs, along with a decay that go on forever. A real silkiness is also added to the presentation.

However, it was not quite what I prefer. Simply because to me it's attention to the highs seemed to improperly weight the presentation toward the highs and left the bottom end rather lifeless in comparison.

I know not many would agree with me on this conclusion.

But I enjoy using the XLR connections from source to amp. These 2 additional volts simply bring my DNA-2 Rev amp to life like I've never heard before. Therefore, I settled for second best in this price range and went with a Pass Labs unit that has XLR and single-ended connections.

One day, I'd like Guy Hammel to build a fully balanced Placette Active Linestage that processes the additional 2 volts from my source's XLR outputs without interference. And preferably without the sorbathane feet.

As far as I know, the remote was a non-issue for any degrading of the sonics.

-IMO
I've had my Placette Passive for about 18 months now. It allows you to hear your components and the source material as they are. It has no added coloration, no distortion and no mercy. Everything comes through with total transparency.

It definately worth a try. I believe that Guy is still offering a money back option if you don't like it. He is also selling some very transparent interconnects that take the sound to a higher level.

Rick
I compared the First Sound passive to a Reference Line Preeminence I passive. The Reference Line was more musical, had greater soundstage depth and more dynamic realism. The reference Line uses Vishey's and was a reference pre-amp for many reviewers a few years back. You may want to add this to your list of possibilities.
If you are looking for a super transparent, purely passive transformer-based stage, give John Chapman at Bent Audio a jingle. He can set you up with any number of input/output combos RCA or XLR. You can get them kit or pre-built and they are EXCELLENT. No vested interest, here. I just owned one and thought it was great.

http://www.bentaudio.com
Tough call, these are great pieces. I've had extensive experience with Passive Placette, Active Placette, and First Sound Deluxe (the $4k model).

When I wear my audiophile hat the Placette wins - for detail and linearity, without being harsh, it is unmatched in transparency IMO, but, the First Sound is absolutely supernatural in it's black background, dynamices, nuance, and overall sonic beauty. When I play the First Sound my jaw hits the floor on the first note and stays there. Every single note is like an individual gift to your ears. I have never heard anything like it.

Ultimately - and this is critical - it's a matter of system matching of course and your choice might simply need to depend on the rest of the gear...

I've heard there can be impedence problems matching certain amps to First Sound so see if you can try before buy.

Art