VPI HW19 MkIII vs. Michell Gyrodec?

Hi all, I've lurked around the forums here but never posted before. Now I have a question!

I'm looking to take my first real foray into the high-end by upgrading basically my whole system. I'm replacing an AR ES-1/Linn Basik/Aurum Beta and I've got it narrowed down to two 'tables. I'd love to hear what you think about each one, and which you'd buy if it was you:

VPI WH-19 MkIII with an AudioQuest PT-9+ and my Aurum Beta (I'll upgrade the cart later!)

or a Michell Gyrodec SE with the venerable RB300 and my Aurum Beta.

I've been able to audition the VPI locally and I definitely preferred to the Nottingham Interspace, plus I live in a loose bulding with plenty of vibration and NO possiblility of a wall shelf, so I need a competent suspension! However, I hear such GOOD things about the Gyro SE. Unfortunately, there isn't a Gyro even remotely close to me so I hear one.

What to do!?

My amp is a Conrad Johnson MV55, interconnect is Audioquest Viper and AQ Type6 speaker cables to Clements 107di's. I haven't yet bought a preamp but am looking at either the JJ 243 which has a nice tube phono stage, or a CJ PV10B with phono stage.

Thanks for any help!
dirtyragamuffin
I just wanted to clarify what has been stated. To be sure that Dirtyragamuffin and other Audiogon readers gets the correct facts.

Wall Shelf or solid stand is more essential to Non-Suspended turntable. Wall shelf or solid stand will benefit suspended turntable as well but not as much compared to Non-Suspended turntable. Airborn vibration will affect the non-suspended turntable much more so than it does to suspended turntable.

Suspended turntable may involve little more periodical adjustments compared to non-suspended turntable.
Thanks again everyone for the responses, I really do appreciate it and you've helped me get closer to my decision!

Given my circumstances, I think a suspended turntable would be right for me, and I still have it between the VPI and the Gyro, though my budget has changed slightly and I'll be looking for a used Gyro at this point, or failing that a new VPI as set up by my dealer.

I'd still love to hear any opinions on these 'tables! Sounds like a lot of folks consider them both good choices.
Is the MkIII suspensionless? I had a Mk IV and it had a stiff suspension. I find that a stiff suspension is a plus where isolation of the table is less than ideal. A lightly sprung table like the Michell can be hell when it comes to footfall problems.

As far as sound is concerned, my own preference was for the Mk IV over the Michell. I like well damped tables. Lively tables, like the Michell can sound more exciting at first, but I suspect that the undamped resonance that give its presentation that extra sparkle and life also contribute to a slightly hashy and crude quality. Let me emphasize "slightly" since I think all of the tables at this level are very good.

My current table is a Basis Debut V (vacuum) and it is at a wholly different level from my old, but still loved, Mk IV.
I have a Gyro SE and have absolutely no problems with "footfalls" In fact I can jump up and down as hard as i like right in front of the table with no effect - of course it is on a stand that rests on a concrete floor on top of a styrofoam pad on top of several feet of crushed stone. In any case, I think you would be pleased with this table for the price (target 1200 or less without arm) but I haven't compared it to the VPI.
VPI is dropping the HW line and will not support it with parts. Buy the Michell.