Need advice re: Purchase of Reel to Reel

I lack any knowledge about reel to reel players. I would like to get my dad one for Christmas as he was a DJ long ago and has many recordings of his shows. I looked on E-Bay but did not have any clue as to what to get, how much to spend, etc. Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
cahendeead0f
I had a Gundig over 22 yrs ago that had auto reversing heads and touch finger tip controls that listed for $1800. It was a beauty of fine German craftmanship. Also of course check out the Revox A77 I think the model number was.
**Most important: You must determine if the shows were recorded as 1/2 track (2 channels) or 1/4 track (4 channels). Both are stereo formats. 1/2 track tapes play (in stereo) in one direction only. 1/4 track tapes play (in stereo) in both directions. (You flip the tape over).

Richingoth is right. You must also find which speed(s) your father has his shows stored at AND you must know which tape widths were used. Hopefully you'll find his tapes are at the 3-3/4ips speed on 1/4inch tape. That way you'll have a broad range of players to select from.

If you find his shows are stored on small reels (anything below 12inch) you will again increase your selection of players.

I have many reel-to-reel players and would be willing to get a list of perferred players to you with my sources.
All vital input. Once you have figured out the format his tapes are on then you need to know the size of the reels that the tapes live on. After that -- check e-Bay and pray.

F7
For some basic, quite good information, check out Rolf's site:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/

He really knows his stuff and helped me get an old Akai 4000DS going.