VTA setting up.....how do I find level?

I've read advice to "raise the rear of the tonearm .03 inches from level" for best performance of my Lyra Helikon cartridge.

OK, how do you find level? If I place a bubble level on the tonearm it stresses the stylus with the extra weight! (damage potential!?) and bends the arm down, so it's not in the normal playing position.

Then, the numbered barrel on the JMW12.5 arm indicates what? (numbered 0 through 99)

Could someone address this particular step of the setup please?
jbatlanta
Jbatlanta,

I really recommend you go to Audio Asylum and on the home page click on FAQ. Scroll down until you see the section on turntable set up. If you read all the posts and especially Jon Risch's "VTA and forget it" you'll be an expert.
As a start, and if your arm is not tapered, the simplest way to get to "level" is to take a lined index card and place it behind the arm wand as it lays on the record surface. Line up the card's lines with either the top or bottom of the arm wand. That's a starting point, and no it's not precise - just by eye. But it is far better to have that reference point than trying to eyeball it without one. I couldn't believe how far off I was without it.

Enjoy,
Bob
Good advice from all three posters above. The Jon Risch article referenced by Lugnut (I think the title is actually, "VTA once and for all!") is the best theoretical place to start

Risch recommends a lined guide card just as Bob did.

The approach explained by Rushton is ultimately best. Both VTA and VTF must finally be set by ear, listening to familiar recordings.
You want to level the bottom of the cartridge body with the vinyl by eye as a initial set-up. The armtube is not the place to look first - especially tapered arms.