Rega or Sony from a "digital dope"

Im ready to take the plunge into a decent digital CDP.My main obsession has been analog.All my "education" has centered around analog so I know zip about CDP's.I like the looks and the reviews of the Rega Planet.There is one here for sale for $440.00 I have also seen CDP's in the $2000.00 range(when new) going for $4-$500.They are older Sony CDP's.I dont really want to spend more than $450 max.Should I grab the Planet or buy an older Sony? The bottom line is, the best bang for the buck at $450 or less.
david99
I second Slingshot's thought on finding a used Cal; I used to have a Cal Audio Tempest II cd player w/one tube and it was the best sounding player I ever owned. wish I had kept it for comparison w/some of the latest upsampling etc. models. anyway, you can occasionally find a used Tempest II on Audiogon. Highly recommended if you can find it.
When Rega originally designed their CD player, they worked with Sony on their own design. They wanted their player to be more "analogue" sounding than the current crop of CD players. They are pretty smooth...not as much bass, or as detailed as some, but definitely musical. They're also very well built (a comment I can't make about any of the Sony products I've ever owned). For $450 or less, I'd definitely consider the Rega...I'd also recommend looking into one of Stan Warren's modded Pioneer DV333's. The player costs about $200, and I think his top mod is $250. The only disadvantage is the long wait.
I bought a used Rega and I enjoy it very much. Prior I ran an Magnavox CD630 into a Meridian 563. I like the Rega better. At the used price you can't go wrong. Pick it up. If you don't like it it will be easy to sell. BTW, the Rega will play CDR's and CDRW's. A nice feature if you need it.
I have to back up Kitch29 on the Cambridge. After auditioning a large group of sub $750 players, it was the winner. And, not by a small margin. I found it good enough to buy. It will be disappointing out of the box, but just wait till it breaks in. Becoming fuller, tighter, more detailed and extended. A wonderful answer to just what you are looking for, David. Digital out lets you use this as a transport, and plow the money you saved into a better upsampler, et al. I just do not get the Planet. Never have. I find the player dead. Dull. No pulse, no liveliness. Nothing. Maybe it would fit in a system that NEEDS something drastic to smooth it out, or calm it down. Last week, I finally got to put the Planet 2000 player through its paces. I would love to hear everyone else's take on this updated cosmetics/24 bit, $200 more expensive player. To me, it did all of the same wrong things as the original Planet. Uninvolving, unexciting sound, wimpy sound. If you look for excitement in your music, this is definitely not a player for you. I am at a loss as to why Sam Tellig fell all over himself to praise this machine. To my ears, I can find many cheaper, better players. The Jolida 603, Cambridge D500 SE(and D300, for that matter), the AMC tube output players, etc.