Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl
Meridian 508.24 -- Stereophile Class A ($3995)
Sony SCD-1 -- Stereophile Class A+ ($5000)

I've listened to both. I own the Meridian. They are spectacular. I'm not sure if Sony is selling the SCD-1 anymore. It plays SACDs and normal CDs. SACD may not make it, but for normal CD playback it is phenominal as well. I'd check them both out. Neither are tube, but I think you will be impressed. DVD-Audio is another option for you. I have not heard any of the players, but I recommend you check them out. Hope this helps.
interesting, that you asked,easy the Cary CD 306 upsampling CD player. I have one that I bought a month ago for $5000.00, but I am selling for $3500.00. This is the best CD player I have ever heard totally beats the Meridian and Sony's Cd section on their top of the line SACD player. Please call me if you are interested at (916)361-3805 or e-mail me at www.g_greenamyer@yahoo.com. This unit is perfectly new, only played for about 20 hours. Only reason why I am selling is because I have a lot more analog software that cd's and I want to get an analog set-up. You will ot find a better more realistic sounding cd player, and you will not find a dealer or private party sell this player for less.
well I have a theta miles cd player that is awesome in everyway. It is 1.5 years old it is still under warrenty new retail is 2,850 iam selling it for 1,650 firm plus shipping. If you dont want that then you need to buy a mark levinson 39 cd player it is one of the best units available today. It retails for 6,000 new you can buy a used one for 3,500 it is the best player money can buy. if interested in my player call me at 203-776-8243 Dan good luck
Hi, Czbbcl: I know your question is sincere and asked in good faith, so my response is NOT intended as an attack on your judgement. However, when I see a question like yours posted regarding very expensive CD players, I really have to ask: Why? CD technology is about to leap-frogged by DVD-A and SACD, and DVD players are now adding stiff competition to the CD-only unit. Spending up to $5K on a beautiful piece of "audio jewelry" that is becoming obsolescent strikes me as questionable. (Again, let me say that this is NOT an attack on you personally.) You can get more for your money by waiting as little as six months until units are available that play CD, DVD-A, and maybe SACD as well. I recently sold my Rega Planet CD player and replaced with it with a high-end DVD/CD player that I think outperforms the Rega by a substantial margin. I know nothing of your financial situation (nor am I am inquiring), but the whole recording technology scene is undergoing such a change right now that I suggest you wait unless you have an immediate need for a CD-only unit. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. (As a side note, I've been an audiophile for nearly 40 years, have sold high-end audio gear, etc., and I've seen a lot of people that invested a large amount of money in a changing technology who wished they had waited.)
Czbbcl,
Sdcampbell makes an interesting point. I am in the same position as you, (although my budget was a lot more modest!) Have you considered the DVD/CD player combined with an outboard DAC that "upsamples" like the Bel Canto DAC1.1? It seems to be the direction a lot of people are looking to go, based on reviews and other comments. It's claimed that these outperform units costing many times the price, with the added benefit of having one component (eg. less cables) that performs several taskes, and is able to handle future formats like DVD-A. (with the right DVD player like the Pioneers) I have decided to postpone just a little while, to see how this is going to shake out.