Best CD player under 5000

I am in the process of replacing my 10year old phillips CD-80 with a new player. What are your recommendations I prefer tube but am looking at all. Thanks
128x128czbbcl
Hi, Czbbcl: I know your question is sincere and asked in good faith, so my response is NOT intended as an attack on your judgement. However, when I see a question like yours posted regarding very expensive CD players, I really have to ask: Why? CD technology is about to leap-frogged by DVD-A and SACD, and DVD players are now adding stiff competition to the CD-only unit. Spending up to $5K on a beautiful piece of "audio jewelry" that is becoming obsolescent strikes me as questionable. (Again, let me say that this is NOT an attack on you personally.) You can get more for your money by waiting as little as six months until units are available that play CD, DVD-A, and maybe SACD as well. I recently sold my Rega Planet CD player and replaced with it with a high-end DVD/CD player that I think outperforms the Rega by a substantial margin. I know nothing of your financial situation (nor am I am inquiring), but the whole recording technology scene is undergoing such a change right now that I suggest you wait unless you have an immediate need for a CD-only unit. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. (As a side note, I've been an audiophile for nearly 40 years, have sold high-end audio gear, etc., and I've seen a lot of people that invested a large amount of money in a changing technology who wished they had waited.)
Czbbcl,
Sdcampbell makes an interesting point. I am in the same position as you, (although my budget was a lot more modest!) Have you considered the DVD/CD player combined with an outboard DAC that "upsamples" like the Bel Canto DAC1.1? It seems to be the direction a lot of people are looking to go, based on reviews and other comments. It's claimed that these outperform units costing many times the price, with the added benefit of having one component (eg. less cables) that performs several taskes, and is able to handle future formats like DVD-A. (with the right DVD player like the Pioneers) I have decided to postpone just a little while, to see how this is going to shake out.
As a note to all waiting for the new format to take off. well it wont last and I dont really care how long people have been in audio its a no brainer. The amount of people involved in high end audio compared to those who arent is so lopsided. They are trying to target such a small amount of people with these new formats. Here a note they came out with hdcd which is not an exspensive format to use but it does sound better and that format wouldnt even take off and the cds were the same price with it. It wouldnt cost to much to allow HDCD to be the standard format for cds but they didnt even do that because us audiophiles are out numbered by casual listners who think that there 150.00 sony cd player is top shelf.( no offense to anyone ) but alot of people dont even know what high end is. When people ask me what kind of stereo I own I tell them Mark Levinson and they say who? What the hell is that? See what I mean. well all I can say is worry about today. Iam sure you have many cds to listen to? Good Luck
Thank you all for your input. I have considered waiting as I am in no hurry. However as Lev335 points out I do have alot of cd's to listen to and who knows which format will ultimately win out over the intermediate near term (1-6) years. Again Thanks
czbbcl, DO NOT WAIT!!!! people who keep talking about multiple players forgot why they purchased seperates. I like to keep things simple. I am hedging on the Levinson #39 because it has a built in pre-amp. I don't need a pre-amp so I don't want to pay for one. I am looking at the Electrocompaniet EMC1. AS far as I know it's a killer CD player. No volume control, no pre-amp, just one great CD player. A good CD player with up to the minute electronics is as good as any DAC/transport out there. People will through high dollar names at you but unless you are a dog you will not hear the differance. Linn sondek CD12 vs the world. Stay within your buget. Buy the best CD player now. When the new format takes hold a true high end player will surface that will do one thing and one thing only, play the music!!! Leave the home theater stuff for those who like toys. Find your player now and enjoy. Peace and good listening.