VPI Scout

I picked up a Scout saturday.(my wife gave me the thumbs up) It has a Benz Micro Glider high output cart. Did I do good? The uni-pivot arm is really scary, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Am I set for a few years with the TT cart combo? Right now I am using the Creek MM phono stage, (which I feel is under rated) but I am planning on adding a phono stage to my BAT VK31SE. Any other advise from VPI owners?
I am excited about this purchase, but I can't talk to any of my freinds about it. They think I am already crazy for getting into this expensive hobby. They just don't understand my(our)obsession. At least my wife is accepting, her nickname is "the saint".
Jeff
jdodmead
I'm using a Scout with a Glider L2 and it's amazing. I've had for almost 3 months and it's really opened up over the last few weeks. Be patient, because while it does sound great out of the box, it only is going to get better, which is part of the fun. Just keep playing records and you'll see. Make sure it's on a sturdy platform(cutting boards work great) and perfectly balanced(very important for the unipivot arm). Put a mousepad under the motor to absorb vibration. While you probably want to wait until it's a bit more broken in, familiarize yourself with how to set vta(loosen set screws at base of arm...then dial in "on the fly" while record is playing, then tighten screws), azimuth(with counterbalance at back of arm) and vtf(with same counterbalance...make sure to tighten counterbalance to arm once finished with settings), and anti-skate(by twisting tonearm wire at connector to box...only enough so that when you set the arm to 0 weight(it floats freely)and you gently push arm toward spindle, it floats back to outer edge within 2-3 seconds).

i also agree with the recommendation of getting a record vacum machine. clean records = better sound, plain and simple. also clean your stylus.

lots of info about the scout here and on the vinyl part of audio asylum.

you did good, now have fun!
Yes, you will want to at least get the Vpi 16.5 for cleaning your records. Just a great machine,and fun to use. Every time I clean records, my wife thinks i am vacuuming my listening room floor :-)
Also I would recommend trying the Graham Slee Era Gold mK V phono stage. I think this is the best buy of my system. $700 -$750 price range.
Good luck and enjoy the TT
Congrats! I hear wonderful things about the Scout, and I'm sure you'll love it. Don't worry...my friends understood my obsession as soon as they heard it for themselves ;) Now a couple of them have been bit by the bug, too. I just sold my old AR Turntable/Linn Basik to one of them!
re the vpi 16.5...very good, but expensive, big and loud. don't overlook the basic nitty gritty for between 200-300. they'll get the job done every bit as good, not as loudly, and with less space.