VPI Scout

I picked up a Scout saturday.(my wife gave me the thumbs up) It has a Benz Micro Glider high output cart. Did I do good? The uni-pivot arm is really scary, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Am I set for a few years with the TT cart combo? Right now I am using the Creek MM phono stage, (which I feel is under rated) but I am planning on adding a phono stage to my BAT VK31SE. Any other advise from VPI owners?
I am excited about this purchase, but I can't talk to any of my freinds about it. They think I am already crazy for getting into this expensive hobby. They just don't understand my(our)obsession. At least my wife is accepting, her nickname is "the saint".
Jeff
jdodmead
The Scout allows one to switch between 33.33 and 45 rpm by moving the belt. There is no means to adjust the speed +/- 33.33 or 45. The AC motor and the precision ground pully will give you each speed with a high degree of precision. If you want to be able to adjust the speed +/- (to change the pitch of instruments on the recording, for example), you will need to add a motor controller that varies the AC frequency being provided to the motor. One solution would be VPI's own SDS motor controller - it is almost infinitely variable and gives the added ability to change the speed to 78 rpm.
My mistake. I was under the impression that the Scout (or Scoutmaster) allowed a small incremental change in pitch, slightly +/- 33.33 and 45rpm.
Jsangelo,
I stand corrected. After reading your reply I looked at the instruction manual for the Scout. While the speed accuracy is within 1%, the manual says:

"There are multiple grooves on a very slightly tapered shaft so you can adjust the speed as your belt ages or temperature changes. The higher the groove, the slower the speed."

My apologies. Beyond this statement from the manual, though, I can't give you the detail you're asking for. Perhaps someone else knows and will reply.
That's ok Rushton. I appreciate the details you provided.

However, I'm curious as to how many grooves + and/or - there are for EACH speed, and how much of a speed change occurs when these grooves are utilized.
Slipknot1 may be able to provide those details. He has a Scout. Let's see if he returns to this thread...