Vinyl playback is still a secret

Over the last two years I have encountered many baby boomers with vinyl collections who did not know that vinyl was alive and well. Most could not believe that one could buy a new cartridge or replace a TT. What has struck me most is how none of these people would sell me their collection of LPs. Their records represent too many precious memories(even when records have not been played for 20 years).

My point is that mainstream consumers need to become more aware of the revitalization of analog. Articles and advertisements for analog products and accessories must be more apparent through the popular press. Sterophile, Absolute Sound, HiFi News et al. as well as websites such as Audiogon essentially reach the true believers and not the population at large.

Somehow, the popular press barrier must be breached if analog is to become truly vibrant and "cool" again.
cardiackid
Chuck!
Please make sure you store those treasures properly... So when you croak someone will have a ball!!!
'Prolly not me, but someone will play the hell out of them eventually!
Have 'em buried with you??
A woman who I used to work with and who knew of my vinyl habit told me two weeks ago she was having a huge yard sale of items that were her 80+ year old father's. I reminded her that I had a vinyl interest and she said her father had about 300 albums from Cuba (she was born there and left when we put Castro in power), some Tango from Argentina, and some Salsa from Brasil, all vintage. Well last week she contacted me to tell me that her sister had left the albums in the house for the junk man to trash. Lucky junk man!
Today on Sunday Morning (CBS) the resurrection of the turntable was as an instrument and not for playback!!

Beyond the argument of sound quality or convenience, the major problem with SACD/DVD for me has been the need ti start a new disc library of software that often already own on CD or LP.

When I returned to vinyl a few years ago, I immediately had about 700 records to explore and rediscover without spending an additional penny. What a marvelous adventure it has been - simply addictive. Of course I have since spent many more pennies on new records, but I am still trying to clean and catalogue all the records I own.

If and when I follow the SACD route, I doubt that I will purchase software I already own unless its a must have version of somethng precious to me. When most software is released routinely as new on hybrid discs, I will probably make that decision.

I think many new people, if informed and excited, will flock to vinyl because they already have the software. Reentering the hobby will inspire more purchases of new LP's as well as used records, which will provide more market incentive for record companies to release current music on vinyl as well as CD. That is good for everyone.

Elizabeth

Your comments were Hilarious....A good way to start off the day!!!!!!!!!

Chuck
If the trend continues, we might be in for a letdown. Vinyl seems to be making a comeback. There are more new pressings available and the new products available speak for themselves. Prices are likely to be effected.

I am a fan of old Denon turntables and the 103 series of cartridges. I have written to Denon marketing about the increasingly active analog market, only to be ignored. Interestingly enough in this months Stereophile analog corner a Denon rep commented about how the initial alotment of Denon's DP500M turntable has been sold out. Apparently way ahead of their projections.

If Denon woke up I'd be very pleased. I'm not sure if the smaller specialized manufacturers would agree, but the audiophile consumer would benefit regardless of whether they buy Denon or not.

IMHO, if you're into analog, the 70's and 80's were a much better period than now, but its starting to get interesting again.

See Ya,
Ed