Vinyl playback is still a secret

Over the last two years I have encountered many baby boomers with vinyl collections who did not know that vinyl was alive and well. Most could not believe that one could buy a new cartridge or replace a TT. What has struck me most is how none of these people would sell me their collection of LPs. Their records represent too many precious memories(even when records have not been played for 20 years).

My point is that mainstream consumers need to become more aware of the revitalization of analog. Articles and advertisements for analog products and accessories must be more apparent through the popular press. Sterophile, Absolute Sound, HiFi News et al. as well as websites such as Audiogon essentially reach the true believers and not the population at large.

Somehow, the popular press barrier must be breached if analog is to become truly vibrant and "cool" again.
cardiackid
I used to argue that it is much easier to design a bad turntable than a bad CD player. Certainly at the low end of the price spectrum. A crap turntable with a crap arm and a crap cartridge will sound.... crappy. Today, I'm not so sure there are any crap turntables on the market (just so long as you steer clear of the stuff made for DJs). Not that I go around looking for crap turntables.

It is true, though, that there is a price threshold that has to be broached before you can assemble a vinyl source (table, arm, cartridge & preamp) that will do the busines for you, and at that price you can purchase any one of a number of competent CD players. But only the vinyl player will let the soul of the music out. At least that is my experience.

P.S. my early and limited exposure to SACD is very encouraging.
I carried a couple hundred albums around for about 25 years, finally bought a cheap dj tt for 130$and 60$ cart,liked what Iheard enough to spend 3000$About 3 months later to get a nice TT and phono preamp,money very well spent,Im hooked nice 3D sound,,
My easy collecting days will end eventually, as all the stashes get dumped. The folks whose TT's died ten years ago, are finally throwing out those LPs in my part of the country. Other areas went sooner... Soon, all the LPs will be tossed out. Then all that will be left are rummage sales of the deceased audiophiles.
Just as other superceeded technologies got discarded, ie typewriters... (for awhile you could find IBM Selectrics in perfect working order at thrifts for $10) Now they are gone. Turntables are a rarity also. For awhile they also were very common at the thrifts.
LPs will dry up where I live too, soon enough.
I'm getting all I can, while they last! My wild guess is that I will have another two years of good hunting here, then the great LP dumping will be a part of folklore here too.
Elizabeth,I got lucky ,found a thrift shop that has albums,and the women that works there says she has more being droped off almost every day,I bought 3 Heifetz LPs there for 50 cents each in near mint condition,it might be due to the fact that I live in Fla which has a large population of Retirees,lots of albums from 50s to 70s every now and then some 78s show up,
Problem I have with most of my older vinyl is I am really not much interested in listening to rock and roll anymore. The Crazy Horse stuff, CSNY; yawn..been there and all that. Floyd every now and then is OK. I've been out acquiring quite a few jazz albums; amazing how many can be found brand new these days for around ten bucks an album.

As for albums for ten cents; I wish. The used records here are between a buck and 10 depending on condition/desirability. Some records are quite a bit more as you all know. Try to lay your hands on a copy of "Atom Heart Mothers"....

carl