Freaked out about having a TT shipped

I am considering delving back into my vinyl collection. My old TT packed it in years ago and i've seen a few decent entry-level TTs here and on ebay. I'd like to buy one, but I'm freaked out at having it shipped over great distance. Does anyone have any advice on how best to package a TT so it doesn't arrive in 10 000 pieces?

Thanks.
wdhsvbgod
Actually, I would be less worried about a TT's being shipped--as long as it is in the original packaging and is double boxed. Turntables actually have only a few pieces: plinth, platter, arm, cartridge. As long as these items are shipped in their original packaging, it should be okay.

If you are going to buy a used one, just ask the seller how he or she plans to pack it; if you get a bad vibe, you don't have to buy. You have every "right" to expect that reasonable care will be taken in the shipping (i.e., lots of bubble wrap, original packaging, and insurance).

I once bought a project tt from a dealer, and it arrived safely (even thuogh I thought it could have been better packed). I recently sold it and sent it from the California to New York, and it's doing just fine right now.

Frankly, I am always more worried about amps, CDPs, and loundspeakers.

Good luck!
I had a Pink Triangle shipped to me via UPS smashed to pieces. Later VTL said never to use them, go FEDEX Air. Also pack a box within a box with LARGE bubbles or single sheets of balled newspaper in between the boxes. Then take off the platter and pack outside the inner box. There may be a bolt or screw that indicates to lock down for shipping. If there is a dust cover, remove it or secure it. Tie down the arm and remove the weight. Take off the cartridge. Buy some worry beads. Or insurance.
I have had lots of problems with having turntables shipped to me. Rega P3 double boxed, looked like UPS ran a fork lift through it, total loss. Bought another P3, single boxed, dust cover completely broken. Micro Seiki DDX1000 with Grace arm, cartridge broken, probably in packing, it also ran way off speed, seller took it back. SOTA Comet, arm bent, not packed properly. That said, most of the expensive tables that I have had shipped to me have made it unscathed. I would suggest double boxing with the original packing materials as the inside box. If peanuts are used between inner and outer boxes, then they need to be stabilized with newspaper or the like. Platters and dust covers must always be removed as well as counterweights and often, but not always, cartridges. If the seller has never packed a table for shipment you will be the beta tester. All audio gear should be double boxed for shipment, not just tables.
the one thing that I would buy local is a turntable, unless i find it used
through a dealer. there is a skill in knowing how to package a turntable right,
and most avg joes i don't think have that level of expertise.

i had UPS long ago destroy a Michel Gyrodec, but fortunatly they paid the
claim, and I was able to fabricate an exaxt match at a local plastics store.

just my opinion
I will add two thoughts to the discussion. I had an EMC-1UP severly damaged by UPS. They must have dropped it from a great height on its front; it actually bent the 3/16" packing bolt!!! I also had a SOTA arrive single boxed, unscathed, even after watching with horror as the driver tumbled it end over end down the ramp to the waiting hand truck. The SOTA packing box and suspension tie down is virtually bullet-proof, but it will not work if it is not broken down correctly and secured to the original shipping materials. I guess you will have to get a feel for the skill and knowledge of the shipper, and then ask him to double box with lots of bubble-wrap. Bottom line is its a crap shoot, but if you can determine that the seller has the original packing AND knows how to use it ;~), then it will PROBABLY be OK.