HMS TPO MATCH cables

does the impedance selector work on some ratio between input/output connected components with aural fine tuning later or is it all play by the ear. any suggestion on popular settings.sunil
sunilsood
I found no changes in the sound in my system. I also have them at zero. Has anybody played with the settings on the speaker cables and heard a difference. Its hard to do alone. Do you know how hard it is to change a setting and run back to the sweet spot before the next note of music comes out.You've got to be quick.
Sunilsood,
the people responding here do not represent a true mirror of my customers. Not every HMS customer will post at A’gon. I think at least 50 to 60 percent of all HMS GF TOP Match customers use a different setting. I hardly have one customer who will buy a pair of cables and you will not hear again from him. So from emails I really feel that at least half of my customers settle on one setting other than default.
I myself use in my system setting 1 on my cdp to preamp cables and setting four from the pre to my monoblocks.
My father in Germany, who also has a full HMS cables system, uses setting 1 on the cd to pre amp also and he is not done experimenting with the cables from the pre to his four KR monoblocks. It looks like he will keep these cables on setting 2.
And according to Mr. Strassner, about 65% of all German customers use a different setting than zero.
It is also a wrong perception to think if you will not use a different setting than the default setting, the investment is wasted.
The price difference is not really huge: it is around $130. The TOP box contains also a sophisticated RFI/EMI filter, which the regular version does not contain. Even MIT have recently come out with an impedance matching system on their top interconnects, although a very crude, since they cannot copy the much more sophisticated settings of HMS, as they are protected by patents.
MIT has 3 extremely spread settings, so you cannot fine tune anything here, but the fact that they implement the impedance idea, even if it is a much more simple design, would support the whole idea about the needs of such a device, which MR. Strassner saw a long time ago
Snook2, the best way to change the settings is to have a friend, your wife or girlfriend change the settings while the music is playing and you relax in your listening chair.
If you have a helper, you can go through all settings without effort in less than 5 minutes.
how are the experiences with settings on speaker cables, are changes in sonics more finite here than interconnects.
I hope I am allowed to mention that there is a Soundstage review at:
http://www.soundstage.com
at the equipment section coming out in 2 days, addressing these TOP Match Box questions in detail.