Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Erikminer- I can only speak from my own experience.

Before I started the thread and before there was any secondary gain for Steve, he was responsive (like same day) to his emails and phone calls, and he was clear and specific about his payment and return policies. He was (and is) quote confident about his gear and is very honest about the upgrades and what they accomplish. He also told me that he is constantly tweaking and fine tuning his gear and offers improvements to his established customer base as they are available; for a minimal fee.

He is clearly a talented and passionate audiophile engineer. His fund of knowledge, very well laid out policies and quick email response led me to try out the OverDrive SE. And boy am I happy I did!!!

Ozzy - There are always 3 sides to every story. Theirs, yours, and the truth.
Be careful to criticize someone when their livelihood is at stake. You may do more damage then you intended. Especially on a Forum.

That all being said. I have not owned long term and do not know Steve's policies or how he handles an issue or problem after the warranty is up...

All I know is that he makes a hell of a DAC!!!
Does anyone know if there is a way to edit a post after it's submitted? My occasional typos are driving me nuts! And sometimes I think of something to add to a post I just submitted and then need to post a second time.....
FWIW, I've worked with Steve for a couple of years now, and have always found him responsive, fair, and above all, very knowledgeable. Are we best buds? No. Do I appreciate his insights and presence? Absolutely.
Matt,

I posted my actual experience with dealing with Steve. Others may have had different experiences.
Before you crown a winner, I just thought it would be important to note that you are dealing with a one man show subject to any conditions he wants to impose.

APLHIFI, Alex, is another one man show that I have purchased products from. Excellent designer, fantastic products. He always treated me fair with no problems. However, he got sick and way behind on his production.
Some people waited for over a year for his products!
There was an extremely long thread on Audiogon about this.

One should compare that to other companies such as PS Audio that have actual service and customer service departments.

Of course, as I stated earlier these were my actual experiences and YMMV.