Help me discover some new music...

Hi, Gang,

My rig is finally at a level that I don't feel a great need to invest in new gear. Rather, I'm looking for new music to discover. I feel like I'm listening to a lot of the "same old stuff."

I listen to mostly rock and pop, with a little orchestral/soundtrack music thrown in and a bit of jazz, too.

Here's what I know and love:

Steely Dan (including Becker and Fagen solo efforts)
Sade
James Taylor
Beatles
Dire Straits
Bonnie Raitt
Eagles
Paul Simon
Some classical Chesky LP's
Joe Jackson
Ingrid Michaelson
Chicago
Basia
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Earth Wind and Fire
Supertramp
Queen

,,, and a lot of other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Anybody want to be my "Pandora" and suggest things I should check out? Great music is primary, but great sonics also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
rebbi
Jeff Buckley: Grace
Joni Mitchell: Blue, Ladies of the Canyon, or Court and Spark.
Elliot Smith: Either/Or
"I forgot to mention Zappa. I have a few of his LP's -- Sheikh Yerbouti and Apostrophe come to mind -- but my collection's not very deep. I sometimes have trouble getting past the 8th grade potty humor on those lp's, but the musicianship and creativity are undeniably brilliant."

Yellow Snow was pretty innovative potty humor back when Apostrophe was released. :-)

ZAppa was very talented and innovative in certain ways, especially rhythmic patterns, and also an excellent guitarist usually with excellent musicians, but also all over the place.
Toddnkaya:
Mapman:
Just to show that I am not entirely stuck on Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey. Two recent (to me) gems, The Colorado String Quartet, and Oleto Adams. I highly recommend both. The quartet, it's good to see Americans playing this music at this level. All female. Can be seen and heard on youtube. Miss Adams sings like Gladys and Aretha sang. Great voice, great material. So you Gentleman are correct. There is talent out there. I am just late discovering it. Maybe you have to look harder these days to find it. There is so much static out there. Thanks for the informative posts from everyone.
Cheers
Hot Rats
Chunga's Revenge
Burnt Weenie Sandwich
(on a diverging path, find yourself some "Sugarcane Harris")

Reuben and the Jets (one of THEE most romantic albums ever)

200 Motels
Yellow Shark

It is true - not every track is equally wonderful BUT imo Zappa was a genius with a capital 'G'. Worth digging through $h** to find the diamonds. The diamonds are definitely there.
"Music reflects the times that it was recorded in" and if you liked the 60's and 70's you will hate most music from the 80's up to today!

Here are some from "since the 80's" that I like:

Dave Holland group
Karrin Allyson
Cheryl Bentyne
Chris Rea
Clannad
Concrete Blonde
Diana Krall
Eliza Gilkyson
Eva Cassidy
Holly Cole
John Abercrombie