Meridian or Audio Research - Weigh in Please

OK I am looking for a CD player to upgrade to. Top 2 condenders are 506 or 508 series Meridian or ARC CD1 or CD2. Balanced outputs are not required. If you have other suggestion, fine, but I want some opinions on these players. Present system consists of:

ARC 100.2 amp
Supratek Syrah preamp
Pioneer PD-54 CD (same as PD-65 minus wood sides)
VPI mk4 TT
Gallo Nucleus Reference speakers

Let the opinions begin!
slowhand
Bought the Meridian 508/24 just after it came out,never had a lick of a problem.Still sounds as wonderfull as the day I got it. This really is a great palyer.It does not call attention to itself at all. Good Luck
Have had both the 506.18,506.20 and finally the 508.24. The 508 is a great player.The 506 is good but not up to the level of the 508.No reason to upgrade at this point.I have Meridian equipment throughout so it is matched perfectly to my system.
i strongly recommend the ARC CD 3, if you can afford it. it is one of the most analogue sounding cd players i have heard.
good luck !
I agree strongly that if you can swing the $ for the cd3 you won't regret it .Absolutley one of the best sounding players you could get.Wouldn't even consider a SACD since the software will never approach the volume of titiles available in the redbook format.And the cd3 makes great music!