Tonearm for Teres turntable - approx $1000 - ??

I have way to much time to research for components for my new analog setup, and keep on thinking about new ways of spending my budget (which keeps increasing in size. :-( )

I have at least decided on the turntable - basically a Teres 160 - and the cartridge - Zyx R-100H.

I had decided on an Origin Live Silver tonearm,(with Twl's HiFi mod, of course,) too, but now I'm wavering about that decision. I can not afford to spend thousands of dollars on the tonearm, but can probably stretch my budget to about $1000. Used is fine... Are the Hadcock tonearms (which seem to be about the same price as the OL Silver) any good? Better than or equal to the OL Silver? Is there something better I should look for, or should I just stick with the OL Silver?
oakiris
Doug - I'm taking your word for it! I'll go for the Morch DP6. The cheapest I've been able to find the Graham is for $1900 (used, here on Audigon) which is way more than I originally intended to spend. (Still, do you have any opinions on the BlueNote Borromeo - Chris is selling one for less than the Morch. :-) )

Still I have not made up my mind on an arm, I mean should it be so hard to spend $1,000.00?
Glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling, Gregg!

OakIris
Gregg,

It's harder to spend $1,000 (effectively) than it is to spend $2,000!

Oakiris,
Remember, all I said is I'd take a chance on a DP-6 before I'd buy a 2.2. I haven't actually heard a DP-6 so that hardly constitutes a recommendation.

Of course Raul loves the DP-6 and Salectric gave you a useful comparison. If clarity and finesse are more important to you than richness and opacity, then apparently a DP-6 would suit you more than a JMW-10. I agree with C123666 that an unbroken arm cable is best, but none of these arms has that.
Doug - Is there another arm in the <$2000 dollar range that you would recommend over the Morch DP6? I guess I do want "clarity & finesse" as opposed to something that will become fatiguing! I do like the sound of tube equipment, too, though. Does this mean I am bi-polar, or just confused?!?
If you're serious about a Moerch, you need to consider getting the 12" wand. Not only does it provide better sound quality, according to several others who have compared the 9" and 12" wands, but it's more flexible on cartridge matching. The 12" Red which I have handles nearly all cartridges. There is a Blue version that is suited to very low complicance cartridges.

Another thing to consider in choosing a tonearm is its ergonomics. In many vinyl systems, you have the most frequent physical contact with the tonearm, so it should be one that has a good "feel." Both the VPI and the DP-6, in my opinion, feel right. (The baby Moerch---the UP-4---does not have a good feel due to the floppy unipivot.)

My only complaints about the Moerch DP-6 are that its VTA adjustment is not as convenient or repeatable as the JMW-10, and the damped cueing does not operate consistently. Neither one bothers me, but others might feel otherwise.

Dave
I can't think of any sub-$2K arm I'd clearly prefer to a DP-6, but my actual experience is fairly limited. The few arms I *know* I'd prefer all list for $3K and up. Maybe that makes the DP-6 a serious contender for best-in-class?

The DP-6's clumsy VTA adjustment can be addressed by ordering Chris's $200 VTA adaptor. It works pretty well provided your table is sited with convenient access beneath the armboard. (Ours isn't, so we need an arm with the VTA dial on top. AFAIK there are no sub-$2K arms with that feature.)

His point about the tactile nature of tonearms was nicely put. If you can fall in love with your tonearm and look forward to working with it, you'll play more music and enjoy it more. From that perspective a DP-6 may be the most attractive arm on the planet, except for maybe a Schroeder at 2-4x the cost.

In addition, a Moerch is so graceful, beautiful and obviously costly that few casual visitors would dare to touch it. That's a good thing for the health of your cartridges. My Tri-Planar has the same effect for different reasons. It has a certain robotic, Terminator-like "aesthetic". Most visitors seem to fear it'll chop off their finger if they get too close!

Doug