calling all audiophiles

Is it ok to connect an amplier straight to the wall? I thought it sound better without the monster HTS 2000 power conditioner, I just dont know if it is wise to do this. Any feedback or recommendation would be appreciated.

My amp is a parasound 2205.
wallst202
Correct me if I am wrong but people seem to confuse spikes, noise and thunder. Thunder or excessive spikes are easy to control as they are usually adressed by devices in parallel with the line so they short when a high voltage hits MOV and gas tubes are usualy used. I haven't heard any comments on isolation transformers these can decouple your gear from the line which is a huge benefit (any comments?) as far as the 220V/110 comment goes this is usually a diode acting as a Voltage divider not really a benefit in my opinion.
My brother is using an isolation transformer on all of his line level components to great effect. Can't really do this with a good sized amp though, as most "reasonably priced" isolation transformers are relatively low current.

As to MOV's absorbing or shunting spikes, that is partially true. You need to keep in mind that MOV's definitely DO "burn out" or lose efficiency over time. The higher the voltage surge or spike and the more often that these devices have to deal with that type of situation, the more likely they are to fail. Just because it is plugged into a "surge protector" does NOT mean that it is "fully" protected. Sean
>
Has anyone tried the Transparent Powerlink / Powerblock Ultra units. They claim to have some outlets on them that do not limit power.

Aknorth
Hi, Wallst202. I own a monster2000 and my amp[sim4070se] is best run directly into the wall. But you can improve the performance of your 2000 by 1. setting it on bricks off the floor, 2. Going to www.musicdirect.com and buying a highwire powerwrap for $24.99. Put this on your fixed power cord to the 2000 and sit back and allow yourself an evil laugh...It raises this conditioner to a higher level....at least, in my system....I'm hearing such an ease to the presentation of the music and the backgound is dead quiet. Tiny sounds hidden behind loud sounds can be way back in the mix....good listening
BishopWill I too live in the "lightning capital of the world" and during those times when things are active I just unplug the gear. No surge protector will protect from a direct hit. I remember several years back when a friends picture tube on his TV set blew out! Nothing stops the path of that much voltage! Another example of what lightning can do inimpeded was a direct hit through a window and grounding into a bed, this started a fire in an apartment building. This is no exaggeration, I had a hard time believing it myself but saw it first hand and the damage it did. Surge protectors are only good for voltage spikes in the lines.

I agree with the dedicated line advocates. Why just today I plan on installing a dedicated 20 amp circuit using 10 instead of 12 gauge attached to 2 hospital grade receptacles, these babies really grab and have greater contact surface area.