Is it worth purchasing the VPI 16.5?

Having not had the opportunity to audition this product prior to purchasing I was wondering what people who have owned and used this record cleaning system over the years might have to say about it. Is it worth the investment?
rfigster
It is worth every penny, particularly if you use Record research record cleaning products with it.
Tbg: better source material is beneficial to any system. Whether or not one can afford to buy "the best" type of cleaning system is something completely different than being satisfied with what they have or might be able to purchase : ) Sean
>
I feel it is a no-brainer that an analog enthusiast should have at the least the highly touted VPI HW16.5 if you are building a record collection. Once you being buying a lot more LPs you may want to have more convenience by getting the HW17F. But if you are here to stay the Clearaudio Matrix is a lifetime investment. You should see the innards and build quality! At the expense of a much higher cost
Personally, i don't think that the innards are all that important. That is, so long as the unit gets the records as clean as possible, lasts a very long time AND is convenient to use. I think that most mass produced machines fail on the first and third parts of that equation. That's why i'd like to build my own machine as there are some very simple add-on's that could take them a few steps nearer perfection. Sean
>
A record-cleaning machine is a must. The Loricraft is the best of the lot. The VPI 16.5 is a good machine and the Loricraft (a good bit more expensive) is head and shoulders above the 16.5. It is much quieter (sounds like a micro wave oven running) and the constantly replaced string on the vacuum arm is an ingenious solution to not re-infecting the next record with the previous record's dirt. Solidly built and no parts to replace.
It is well worth the extra money and is a lifetime investment.
Rgds,
Larry

Rgds,
Larry