Running CD-Player Directly from Amp

I'm curious about the impressions of audiophiles regarding the use of a CD-Player's variable output for volume control while running it directly from a power amp. It seems like an ideal solution for a digital-only music listener, but doesn't the sound quality end up depending on the quality of the CDP's volume control?

Short of, say, a Wadia 850, are there any other CDP's (<$2,000) that give good results when used without a pre-amp?
ets23
I think the sound quality depends on a few things such as the design of the output stage of the player and the output impedance. Can't really make a general statement without more info on the the player and amp you ara trying to match.

There is a great article or thread online by Thorsten Loesch, i believe, on this topic and I was not able to locate it. I'll look a little more and post it if i find it.

Sincerely, I remain
I agree with Clueless about there being many variables that will determine compatibility and sound quality. My personal opinion is that all source components benefit more sonically from what an active preamplifier offers than they benefit from what a passive or built in preamplifier offers. In other words, I am willing to accept a loss of detail in order to gain a gain better dynamics. I never had a good experience with a passive line stage. The last one that I owned was a Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive. It was years ago and at that time was considered to be one of the better passive line stages available. Other reasonable music lovers and audiophiles may disagree.

I ran a Wadia 830 directly into a Bryston 4BST and into a Bryston BP20 Preamplifier. To me it was clear that the system sounded better when the Wadia was run through the preamplifier. This system was very nice, but I am sure that the differences would have been even more dramatic if I had better equipment at that time.
I've had excellent results running the XA7ES direct. The Sony's remote adjusts volume remarkably well when run direct. The XA7ES is every bit as good as the 830, IMHO of course. Enjoy!
Resolution Audio CD-50 and CD-55 players both have variable analog outputs (balanced and unbalanced), and both are available used for less than $2k. I run a CD-55 directly into my Bryston power amp with excellent results.
I have a Theta Miles (balanced version = $1400 used) that has an analog volume control and drives my BAT VK-500 really well. Impedance between the two components seem to be no problem. It is definately better than when running through my Forte Model 2 preamp. Part of the problem may be that the Forte has only RCA outputs and the BAT XLR inputs. I convert with a AQ Lapis 3 RCA to XLR IC. I don't know how much this conversion process degrades the signal.

I think the general consensus about driving amps without a preamp is that it provides more detail and clarity. Many people seem to prefer good preamps in their systems because they provide more bloom, dynamics and overall magic to the sound. I'm sure a big part of this depends on the efficiency of your speakers, the gain of your amp and the output of the cd player or DAC.

I would definately give the Theta Miles CDP a listen in your system.

-Karl