GRASS ANYONE?

I mean Blue Grass,as in music.
I have expanded my musical tastes a bit into "pop country" Its "ok" but I would rather concentrate on some awesome Blue Grass music.
Any suggestions for some great music??
HEE HAH!!
david99
Amen to the above suggestions: Dave Grisman, Tony Rice, Darol Anger, and ESPECIALLY the SELDOM SCENE with Mike Auldridge; regarded by many as THE best bluegrass. My father (God rest his soul) loved bluegrass, Flatt & Scruggs, and always waxed on about the Seldom Scene. I went to a two-day bluegrass festival in the catskills with dad about 10 years ago and there was a special apearance by the Sceldom Scene and they easily blew everyone else away with superior artistic vision, dynamics, harmonics, basic excellence in songwriting.
Strenght in Numbers "Telluride Sessions" is playing as I browse today. Not true bluegrass, instrumental cuts from the cream of the bluegrass crop. Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Mark O'connor Edger Meyer and of course Bela Fleck. These guys are incedible. On "Duke and Cookie" the players trade licks so hot they could be Mahavisnu Orchestra on moonshine. "The Locks of Dread" is just your typical Celtic/Reggae hybrid. On "One Winters Night" Mark O'connors violin stirs your soul and then Jerry Douglas carries it to heaven on his dobro. Did I say that?! Regardless, everyone should have this CD, bluegrass fan or not.
Lot of great suggestions above. I'm going to recommend some specific titles:

In the same vein as the Brother Where Art Thou songtrack is a songtrack cd called "Songcatcher."

The early Alison Krauss and Union Station cds, and maybe the latest (tho I still haven't opened it), but some of the ones in between are a little more pop oriented.

Anything by Doc Watson, but you could start with "Remembering Merle."

Jerry Douglas, "Slide Rule." (Jerry plays dobro)

Tony Furtado, "Within Reach." (Tony plays banjo, Jerry plays dobro on a couple of cuts, and Alison Krauss sings "I Will")

Emmylou Harris, "Roses in the Snow" and "Blue Kentucky Girl"

Not exactly Bluegrass:

"newgrass:" - Gillian Welch, "Revival." A remarkable album of brand new old timey music with a bass.

mountain music: - Patty Loveless, "Mountain Soul" - her Dad really did mine coal.

- The McCarters, "The Gift," an lp if you can find it by 3 sisters. The cd "Jennifer McCarter and the McCarters" is not as good.

The best for last, unclassifiable American music: Iris Dement, "Infamous Angel." Actually all three of her cds. Merle Haggard calls her the greatest singer he has ever heard. Singer/songwriter actually.
If you're looking for a catalog of some great bluegrass stuff, Rebel Records of Virginia has a nice one online. Have a look here.

http://www.countysales.com/php-bin/categories.php?PHPSESSID=d70246790d97fb8c4ae3c9f1b6dc7ff4&category_id=1

I've seen the Seldom Seen (mentioned above) and they are certainly the real deal. They've done a lot with Rebel Records. I'd also recomend the Hogwaller Ramblers for some great bluegrass plus some fusion bluegrass/rock material. Try here http://www.hogwaller.com/index.html There's lots more out there, enjoy the ride.
Early Bela Fleck would be more bluegrass oriented than his more recent stuff.
Try Mark O'Conner "New Nashville Cats" for bluegrass fiddle played by a trained violinist.
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was the catalyst for two albums that brought together the traditionalists and the newgrass musicians "Will the Circle Be Unbroken, I and II". I can't recommend these two more highly. Recorded in a studio direct to 2 track I believe.
For Country/bluegrass/pop vocals with great studio musicians try Ronstadt, Parton and E.L. Harris in Trio and Trio II.
For bluegrass/gospel try Alison Kraus and the Cox Family "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow.
For rockers turned bluegrass- Old and in the Way.
Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenburg and Edgar Meyer "Skip Hop and Wobble.
Rounder has a new compilation called "O Sister" celebrating the women in bluegrass.
"Down From the Mountain" is a live show featuring many of the artists from "O Brother Where Art Thou" recorded at the Ryman Auditorium, original home of the Grand Ole Opry.

Lots of good stuff in this genre and lots of new crossover which is very interesting. I have become a great fan of bluegrass gospel. A local college station (WWUH 91.3 for anyone in CT) has a BG show every Sat am and does about 30 min of gospel that I try to catch each week.