Toslink vs. RCA

In virtually every review of DACs and jitter reduction devices, RCA seems to be better than TOSLINK for the transmission of S/PDIF. This seems strange to me considering that a whole host of nasties like EMI and transmission line effects can be eliminated with optical transmission. Does anyone know why RCA is better?
jlambrick
One thing is that the sending component must convert from electrical to optical and then the receiving component must convert back, thus introducing two additional circuits, each adding noise and jitter.
Has something to do with two factors: 1)the Toslink material (plastic) allows internal bouncing and reflections of the optical signal within the cable. 2) the interface at the cable ends and input/output terminals is really sloppy allowing for further degradation of the signal. These problem are minimized with the much higher quality AT&T Glass optical cable. This is what I have heard, but if I'm mistaken or there are other factors at work, hopefully better minds will set us straight! Happy Tunes!
While I'm certain that there are differences, I am skeptical as to whether or not the average audiofool can delineate between the two formats.

Try to set up a double-blind comparison. I did, and I couldn't distinguish between Toslink and RCA. The only format that made an audible difference was AES/EBU. Even that was very minor, though.

I wouldn't spend too much time or money fiddling with this issue. Life's too short, and there's a lot of music out there to be heard. Ciao!