Cables for a high-school newbie

Im on an extreemly tight budget. My goal for cables is simply to open up my current system, tighten the bass, and sharpen immaging, i dont want to color the sound at all (well, maybe a tad bit darker to counter the metal dome tweeters on my speakers). I have a sony cd player, Onkyo Tx 8211 reciever and a pair of NHT SB-3s (best speakers under $1k i've heard... and they're only $400 new if you shop around). are cables worth the dough at this level or not, and if so what brands should i be looking at? I need both interconnects and speaker cables. I listen to rock, small group jazz, metal (too bad metalheads can't figure out how to make a decent recording), and classical in that order.
thanks for the help
dk89
How much would you like to spend? It will be easier to answer your question with this knowledge.

Monster Cable M2.2 cable was surprisingly good since I don't typically like their cables but I used a version of it for a couple of years. It can be had in the low hundreds.

More detail please.
I suggest Blue Jeans cables in that price range. They are high quality Belden with professional terminations, priced just above what the raw cable can be bought for on the internet.

Examples:

2 foot terminated with Canare high quality RCA $25.00

5 foot Belden 5T00UP Speaker Cable, (10 gauge) spades $29.85

Their web site
Try e-ticketcables. I have been very happy with both the speaker cables and interconnects. And they are priced very reasonable.