Is SACD winning over DVD-A?

It seems to me like there are more high-end SACD players and more software. The obvious answere is a universal player but a number of manufactures have gone SACD. I still ask myself if these will both just sit on the sidelines. Most people can't tell the difference between redbook and MP3.. so what chance does either format really have. With DVD-video vs VHS it was something a kid could see.
btrvalik
I with Jposs on this one. I listen mostly to LPs. I bought an SCD-1 (3k) because I wanted to get into SACD and also to upgrade my CD player. Well, I LOVE the SCD-1. I think it is execellent on regular CDs, though I coudln't compare it to super expensive "state of the art" red book players.

The SACD sounds has me very excited though. In particular, the total silence combined with sound of extremely natural presence and nuance it stunning. I sure hope SACD continues and thrives. This is a really MUSICAL format.
It reminds me of a fight between two reluctant participants. Neither one wants to deliver a real punch and both seem unwilling to really commit. SACD (Sony) seems to be in a little better shape because the DVDA "coalition" can't seem to get their act together.
Based on what I've seen in the market, SACD is beginning to significantly outpace DVD-Audio in popularity. To my ears, both formats are essentially equivalent in potential; A poorly engineered SACD recording will sound worse than a well engineered DVD-A disk, and vice versa. If only one format is fated to survive, my money's on SACD prevailing due primarily to the marketing power of Sony and Philips. They pioneered (sorry for the pun) the CD format, and they have that experience to draw upon. Also, Sony has a huge catalog of music software available for conversion/remastering to SACD. Lastly, and most importantly, we're talking folks with deep pockets here (I mean really deep). The biggest potential problem I see on the horizion is that insufficient demand might result in the recording industry eventually abandoning both formats. I think that would be a *&$# shame, so I humbly urge my fellow audio enthusiasts to support the hi-rez digital format of their choice both by buying the stuff and talking it up with people they know. Thanks to all participants, and happy listening.
In my opinion there are two key issues that have to be handled cleverly. This is from examining the tipping points that caused winners to emerge in past standards battles. The first is that the winner will need to use catalogue very cunningly to drive people to the new format. I tend to agree that Sony/Phillips have a better understanding of this issue and importantly a better ability to coordinate how they carry out such a strategy than a consortium of competitors. The second is that any new standard has to offer some kind of "gadget" value or convenience value, if it is not offering lower cost. Since there is very little to be seen in cost or convenience in the new standards then the key issue is "gadget" value. Since it is just another electronics box then I think they have already identified the only available "gadget" value which is surround sound and leveraging the investment that many already have in surround sound systems. That is a level playing field between the competing standards so no obvious winner from that angle.

Looking at what is distinctively different between the two technologies, the only thing significant is the backward compatibility of dual layer SACDs. This will be an advantage for SACD, but I think it will be small, and not compelling.

Therefore I conclude it is the clever use of catalogue that will probably be pivotal. The next question is what market will be pivotal. Perhaps it will be the Japanese market, and so I suspect we should be watching for Sony to begin some big bets in that market that are leveraged off mass popularity content that they own.
Redkiwi brings up a point that many may be overlooking, compatibility. I recently went to a local Best Buy to pick up the Police SACD (the classics). They have a new section titled "SACD & DVD-audio". Not shopping for DVD-A's before, I was shocked to see the jewel cases are of an irregular shape, not as small as a "standard" CD jewel case or as large as a DVD - somewhere in the middle. Not easy to store, I think - STRIKE 1 for DVDA. I next see that most of the SACD's are hybrid and can be played on regular CD players. Not only that but the hybrid, redbook layer sounds pretty darn good on a standard CD player. It doesn't appear that a standard DVDA can play on a regular CD player, maybe a DVD with DTS capability but not a "regular" CD player. STRIKE 2 for DVDA. I am also thinking that some folks out there who listen to the redbook layer of an SACD and find it improved (dramatically in some cases) might wonder just how much better it may sound played on an SACD player, perhaps leading to a purchase of a player???. In short, I see 2 strikes against DVDA already and wouldn't want to bank on a "strike 3" not happening.