Sony SCD-1 vs. SCD-777ES

One of the major differences between the Sony SCD-1 and the SCD-777ES (not the XA777ES), is that the SCD-1 has balanced outputs. Does the SCD-1 have fully balanced differential circuitry, or does it have a single-ended signal path with XLR outputs?

Are there other important differences between the SCD-1 and the SCD-777ES? Has anyone compared the two side by side, and does the SCD-1 sound better?
gharrington
I have owned the SCD 777Es for about two years and enjoy it immensely. The dealer, who sold both units (though the SCD 1 was not on the shelves at the moment) said that he could tell no difference in listening to the units.
Those of you who own either of these; I curious to know how satisfied you are with the music options available in the SACD format? ROI?
I have owned a SCD-777ES for a couple of years. I bought it after auditioning both the SCD-1 and the SCD777ES extensively. The physical differences included the feet, the actual box, balanced outputs, and epoxy coated power supply (the actual supplies are identical). First, the SCD-1 was clearly superior in single ended mode. Second, after more than six hours of side by side comparison, I could not tell the difference between the two. As a result, I bought the less expensive 777ES.

Mine has visited Richard Kern twice (last summer for a Superclock and upgraded caps and resistors, a couple of weeks ago for a Superclock II and Richard's transport mod) and I have yet to hear a better digital device, though I admit to not having heard the Meitner.

David,

Have you heard the Marantz SA-14 or one of the megabuck SACD combo's ($30K+)

Richard

David,

Have you heard the Marantz SA-14 or one of the megabuck SACD combo's ($15K+)

Richard